Reynolds 531st decals

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
I decided not to sell my Dawes Galaxy. When I was cleaning it up to do photos, I thought it wasn't looking as good as it was in my description.
Decided to keep it, so Eddison's is doing me a respray, spreading the rear triangle and possibly a couple of other alterations.
I'm going to fit a custom head badge (my mate is an artist, he's doing me one), and some nice, understated logos. Won't be passing it off as something it isn't, but it will be special.
Now, it had the 1990s Reynolds 531st badge on the frame - very bright green, on a black background. I want to change this, so I was wondering - are there any older, more understated badges about?

This guy's stuff was really good quality when I did my Peugeot:

531 st decals

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I realise the tubes are different, it's just that I prefer the look of the older decals. I'm just wondering if it's dishonest of me to fit a transfer that says "Reynolds 531" instead of "Reynolds 531ST".

Using a plain "531" sticker on a 531st frame wouldn't be wrong as such as 531 is a type of steel and "st" indicates the wall thickness. However IMO it wouldn't be right to use an earlier design on a later frame, eg the 50s/60s "531" design in the ebay auction on a 90s frame.

And the "proper" tubing sticker on a re-sprayed frame would have been a "respray" sticker, not the original sticker, nor a reproduction.

I think this may be the decal you are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REYNOLDS-531-ST-d ... m153.l1262

I have the same one on my Carlton Randonneur (with 531ST) which was made at the Special Products Division by Raleigh.

These decals are originals and I just acquired one for after the respray I'm gonna get done on the Carlton.

They even do a special respray sticker.

The earlier 531 touring tubeset was 531db, but it ha a bad reputation s the fork blades were too stiff. In a front-ender the forks survived and folded up the downtube just below the gear bosses.

Back