guybe's Cwmcarn bimble

guybe":1wic2jnf said:
singlespeed is not suitable for this as it's hilly and rocky so I took the geared Cannondale

The sections in those photographs look like singlespeed heaven to me, mate..... :cool:

Brill! I'm riding there next Sunday (29th) and can't wait now. Looks like I'll have to get the summer tyres out of retirement.

I'm loving this weather!

cheers for comments :)

Gravy Monster- sorry it was a last minute thing after waking up with the sun shinning, next time I fancy a visit and I will give you a bell and it will be soon. (there was no pubs around there, just a cafe near the carpark but the trails make up for it)

heathy- I didnt use the downhill section with the high jumps and tunnel, I use the off road trails suitable for MTB's than DH bikes, yes I used the twister roller coaster on the final part of the loop, that was fast and fun.

kirbdug- nice to meet you last week and nice Kona too, I was chatting one chap there, he said it's about 45 mins drive from Cwmcarm to Afan and Cwmcarn is more hilly and rocky than Afan but same length hoop.

Andy R- there was some sections there would be a struggle on singlespeed, at the start of the loop, it's a long climb to the top, there was times I was using the granny ring gearing on the rocky trails, it could be possible depending how fit you are and the correct gearing.

Russell- the trails is excellent there and seem alot people go there atm, have fun.

Guybe, i didn't mean the DH course, there is a small section at the top where you turn left and onto it, you would've gone right into the roller coaster bit. If you go straight on there, there is 3 wooden drop offs which roll down then up into the corkscrew/tunnel. This then spits you out into a load of doubles [ not very good one's ] and then to the wooden wall ride before the bottom which is where you end up ;) All very do-able on a rigid bike.
You must try it :D

nice ride mate – wish I could have joined you. Certainly beats spending the day sticking tiles on the wall. Got out today though – 3 hours on the Blackdowns – fantastic weather and the trails are starting to dry right through (still a few splashes to wash off though :D ) Still trying to work out how far it is.

Think you'd enjoy this one – spend the two thirds of the ride going upwards, followed by a manic phase of going back down again – there's even a pub en-route though I've never stopped in there to say what it's like (sure they do beer though)

guybe said:
cheers for comments :)
....at the start of the loop, it's a long climb to the top, there was times I was using the granny ring gearing on the rocky trails, it could be possible

the start from the car park? thats a bitch of a climb! and theres a PUB? we used to ride there after work on thursday nights, load up the bikes after work and drive like loonies from andover to get there, the drive home was always done on a high as the last few miles where you hit the section of the downhill course was always a good adrenalin rush! :D

heathy":b7od30hd said:
Guybe, i didn't mean the DH course, there is a small section at the top where you turn left and onto it, you would've gone right into the roller coaster bit. If you go straight on there, there is 3 wooden drop offs which roll down then up into the corkscrew/tunnel. This then spits you out into a load of doubles [ not very good one's ] and then to the wooden wall ride before the bottom which is where you end up ;) All very do-able on a rigid bike.
You must try it :D

its closed for maintenance & has been for a few weeks. try doing the biggest wooden drop at night, its easy in the daylight ;)
the double jumps had been massively eroded by people not clearing them, 1 of the reasons the section is closed & being rebuilt. I prefer the 3 table tops as they've got a lot more lip.
the entire section both the xc loop & "freeride" section are both closed, you have to stay on the fireroad & re-join the trail at carpark 2.

yes the trails are exceptionally dry & have been as soon as the snow cleared around 4weeks ago. cwmcarn is an awesome little trail, & theres a lot more variety in the surrounding mountains ;)

I see a lap time of 1hr 40mins mentioned. Incase you were wondering, I believe the current lap record is by one my mates, anthony oboyle at 36minutes.

Look for a coming feature in MBUK out april 8th about cwmcarn & trails in the near surronding area.

guybe":2xp1mlnn said:
kirbdug- nice to meet you last week and nice Kona too, I was chatting one chap there, he said it's about 45 mins drive from Cwmcarm to Afan and Cwmcarn is more hilly and rocky than Afan but same length hoop.

Andy R- there was some sections there would be a struggle on singlespeed, at the start of the loop, it's a long climb to the top, there was times I was using the granny ring gearing on the rocky trails, it could be possible depending how fit you are and the correct gearing.

afan has a lot more "marked" trails. cwmcarn & surronding area has a LOT more unmarked trails ;)

singlespeed at cwmcarn isnt too hard. I can clear it all in big ring aside from the tight left hander climb next to twmbarlym style. tim williams has cleared the climb on a 9in travel DH bike. ross porter has done it on a cyclo-x bike. if you like making harder work for yourself, singlespeed ISNT the hardest option ;)

Back