'Sherwood Pines Ride' 19 April

i'd like to attend but as always i wont know if i can untill the day before

well ive been along the canal today , bit over 20 miles worth . first 10 was great nice and sunny , no wind , flying along reet . even felt like a day i could go a bit further along to nottingham

until the tubes couldnt take anymore thorns , was waiting for the slime to seal the rear when i noticed the front was flat :x

feet are now proper sore after walking 10 miles back :cry: :x :x

took the front tyre off and removed 17 thorns :shock: i guess the last one couldnt seal it quite quick enough . havnt done the rear tyre yet i just changed the tyre from my mighty semi slick ( never slipped in the mud :cool: ) to the slightly more tready one

ive also done an old downhill trick of cutting some old tubes along the centre and sleeving the slime ones , so now my wheels weigh fooking loads :LOL: :LOL:

ill go in front at the pines and hoover up all the crap into my solid rubber tyres :LOL: :(

perry":3s3q4vpx said:
well ive been along the canal today , bit over 20 miles worth . first 10 was great nice and sunny , no wind , flying along reet . even felt like a day i could go a bit further along to nottingham

until the tubes couldnt take anymore thorns , was waiting for the slime to seal the rear when i noticed the front was flat :x

feet are now proper sore after walking 10 miles back :cry: :x :x

took the front tyre off and removed 17 thorns :shock: i guess the last one couldnt seal it quite quick enough . havnt done the rear tyre yet i just changed the tyre from my mighty semi slick ( never slipped in the mud :cool: ) to the slightly more tready one

ive also done an old downhill trick of cutting some old tubes along the centre and sleeving the slime ones , so now my wheels weigh fooking loads :LOL: :LOL:

ill go in front at the pines and hoover up all the crap into my solid rubber tyres :LOL: :(

It might seem a bit drastic but if you're suffering from loads of punctures have you thought of going tubeless and running Stan's latex sealant,its much more effective than slime(which I always thought was pretty rubbish).Since switching to tubeless 18 months ago I have not suffered a single flat(but probably will tomorrow now!).

is that proper tubeless with the rims and correct tyres or the conversion ?

ive read tubeless can be a bit of a faff , not sure if its the conversion type though

i read somewhere recently if you do get a puncture pop the whole wheel into water to spot the hole , put a thumb tack in and remove the tyre . then glue in a bit of old tube after removing the tack

im going to have to really look into it as i can see myself riding the canal path a lot as its so close and its lined with hedges as far as ive got so far :(

im going to rummage through my stuff to see if i can find anything to sell to offset the cost :LOL:

I've been running full UST setup with Mavic Crossmaxes and Shimano XT,XTR wheelsets with either Maxxis or Schwalbe tyres.
Only time I had a flat was when running them without sealant,all I did was add some stans and re-inflate and that was it,no more flats.I've even pulled some very large thorns out and within 1 rotation the hole is sealed,have a look at stans website.
I've also found that the first time you fit tyres is a bit of hard work but after that no problem and I may just be lucky but I've always got a seal straight away using a track pump and so far have never suffered any air loss.
I am a big fan of it but of course other people have had problems.

im going to have to try and pick up some cheap rims .

what makes the tyres ust specific ? is it the thickness ?

am i right in thinking you can use a low pressure without problem ? any chance of the tyre coming off the bead ?

Yeah,the sidewalls are thicker.
You can run lower pressures but it depends on the tyre really,with the Maxxis I was running about 25psi with no problems even in the Peaks and Lakes but the Schwalbes don't seem as happy at such low pressures so I'm running just over 30psi in those.
There is a chance you can burp air out at lower pressures but I think with the way the bead locks into the rim its alot less likely to roll off.
The only real weakness is sidewall cuts,if you suffer a major one its time to boot it and put a tube in,I've not suffered one yet though despite riding some very rocky stuff in the above locations :D ,really am jinxing myself here now :(

I am up for this ride at Sherwood Pines, my 12 year old lad would also like to come if that is ok with you guys ? He isn't the quickest of riders - neither am I !
I have also asked a mate at work and he is up for it too.

Back