BBB stem extender........it works !!!

Mine kept on pulling through - I could never get sufficient 'pull' on the headset to stop it from being loose :(

If it works, it's going to save me some welding of steerer tubes!

Was going to be fun finding a piece of internal sleve etc... so I'm gonna try one. Thanks for the update.

PDL":jud6y43j said:
Hi,

can I just check something about this please? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick :oops:

My threaded streeer only just comes to the top of the head tube, not enough to even start to thread the headset on.

Am I right that this kit would then work if I bought an aheadset and ahead stem, even if my existing steerer is only just flush with the top of the headtube?

From Faceplant's photos on Flickr it looks like his steerer was even lower than this before the extension was fitted, but just wanted to check.

Also, is the 1 1/8" on CRC the external diameter (so the bit that sits inside the existing steerer tube is actually 1")?

I was going to send my forks away to Dave Yates to have the ahead conversion done, but this could save me a fair bit...

Thanks,
Damien

It will extend the steerer by 85mm. Your original steerer doesn't need to reach the headset which will need to be an Ahead type. On my Giant it's about 1" short. That's what comes on relying on an Ebay desciption. :evil: The 1 1/8" on CRC is the outside diameter of the steerer you are trying to extend. The sectional spacers you can see in the photo are the same as the original steerer.

Orange 71 "Mine kept on pulling through - I could never get sufficient 'pull' on the headset to stop it from being loose"

Did you try an extender? It's not the same as a threaded to Ahead converter. It needs the 2 part bolt to work.

Faceplant,

that's great; thanks for the repsonse. A cheaper repair than I first thought...

I think people get confused when they see a picture of these because the silver rings look like h.set spacers...............your h.set spacers go over these......then you pre-load as normal. they are just there to higher or lower the extender to the desired length of extra steerer needed. :D

PDL":2kwrbf0p said:
Also, is the 1 1/8" on CRC the external diameter (so the bit that sits inside the existing steerer tube is actually 1")?

massive lack of sleep, :shock: just getting my head around this :?

so if you had a 1in threaded (for quill stem) fork, this device would fit (via the quill) & change the steerer to (a longer) 1 1/8 ahead?

(.. or just 1inch threaded to 1in ahead & 1 1/8 threaded to 1 1/8 ahead)

can someone please confirm as I didnt know these adapters existed! :LOL:

Wow... I've got some Cannondale Pepparoni forks which are a whisker too short to fit on the Lloyd, and this looks like being the perfect solution.

Being Alloy forks I didn't fancy getting the steerer welded. I've got a normal quill stem converter thing but I could see no way to preload the aheadset bearings and was beggining to think I was going to have to bodge something. For £15 this looks like being a very good solution - thanks for posting.

I've currently got a couple of the BBB adaptors in use, bought from http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4016.as ... RACK%3dDDI

They work a charm and don't add too much extra weight. I've also tried similar looking steerer extenders, but could never preload the aheadset sufficiently.

Edit: @scant, I think any combination is possible using shims. IIRC I've even seen them for 1 1/4" steerers.

Back