Project Proflex 9/12/12 page 5

right then! no more sarah jessica parker talk!! back to the sreious business of building a proflex!! :D

got the spring assembly from callum! :D thanks very much!

so removed the wrongly bled shock and checked the instructions for bleeding, got that done then fitted the new spring etc . . . . . . . HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!! :D :D :D

IF YOU OWN A PROFLEX BUY ONE!!! SERIOUSLEY!! DO IT!! DO IT NOW!!

and that's not brown nosing, it feels so much better :D

the only issue now is sorting the spacer problem on the chainset and b/b, then getting some bb tunnels to fit the gear cables, oh and a front mech, the 5 spare ones i have don't fit!!! utterly cocktastic of me! :LOL:

here's what the shock assembly looks like :D

Attachments

• proflex.jpg
    proflex.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,076
  • proflex shock.jpg
    proflex shock.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,076
finally got the front mech sorted! :D got a NOS lx mech from that bankrupt stock guy on ebay, lightning fast delivery i have to say!

finally fitted it up today though, i have given it a quick test spin and everything works :D

the ride seems strange to me (bear in mind i have the st4) the suspension does work but it feels more like flex than suspension! :LOL:

i'm back at work tomorrow but i'll try and take it for a proper spin on saturday before i go in for my nightshift.

i'm quite happy with the way it turned out considering nearly everything on it is spares from other builds, not sure about the wheels, mainly coz of the spoke colour. but if it annoys me i have another project in mind for those if i can get the frame i want! :roll: :D

the only other thing i want to do is sort some stickers along the style of the originals.

also got some "jonnyboy666" stickers made up from that guy on ebay, these will be adorning most of the fleet when i get the time!! :D

here's the finished pics.

Attachments

• proflex 002resized.jpg
    proflex 002resized.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2,016
  • proflex 003resized.jpg
    proflex 003resized.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,016
  • proflex 004resized.jpg
    proflex 004resized.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,016
  • proflex 005resized.jpg
    proflex 005resized.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,016
nice, ive never seen those front forks before!!

beautiful

heres mine : (ive since added xtr rear derailleur w/ regular rise with new xtr dual control levers for v-brakes since, oh, and i have since blown the dampening in the rear nr-2, so ill have to send it off to get serviced soon, i like pogo sticks and all but.....)

i love proflexs for some reason.

do you not like the x-links (just out of curiosity... i tend to love them, but alot of people hate them, ive done my share of going over the handle bars going down hills ) although i have to admit, those are some awesome girvins you have, are they air?

in all honesty, the forks are utterly poo!!! :LOL: they are NOS from some shop on ebay, they are actual girvin's but to early for this frame, guessing around 94 maybe. they have about 50mm of movement and they are just basic forks, i haven't even popped the top caps to see whats inside!! but they feel like elastomers which would make sense for a girvin component. they look ok though.

i'm not a mad fan of vectors but i do want a set for this bike mainly because that is what it should have, problem is though they can go for daft money, i started bidding on a set a week or so ago and with 5 days still to go they jumped to 200 quid! :shock: but they did look mint though. i want a set of polished legged ones, preferably with elastomers cos they'll be cheaper then i'll get calum at RDS to sort some new bits for them and that will do nicely.

yours looks pretty cool though :D

haha, well, at least they look cool ;)

im shocked that a set of vectors would go for that much!

haha thanks,, i think it used to be one of those loaner bikes or something, it has some wierd "test ride" stickers on it, my dad said he bought it off a racer a while ago (in ohio....) not too sure though, it shows its age

have you replaced any of the bearings in the frame?

the rds with the shocks are nice as well, theyre easier to service too.

i have to send my rear nr-2 in because it finally lost all dampening and i now feel like a kangaroo (it bounces me pretty high!)

I just love how they ride! its like an extension of my body.

I hope you find a good deal on some vectors, then your bike will really look beastie!

Very pretty indeed - well done :D

One day I might even get off my arse and get mine finished. Problem is, every time I think I've got everything for it I go and buy more...... :oops:

Nice one, looks much, much better than Sarah Jessica Parker - that woman's like a bag of spanners.
Great job!

finally got round to fitting the vectors i got off bkt! i could tell the elastomer was dead but the price was peanuts so i have no complaints! :D besides i intend to get back onto callum to get me a coil spring sorted for them any way! they were a little bit of a faff to fit coz they are actually 1" forks but with the little converter tubes supplied went in after a little bit of fiddling!!

i have also changed the wheels, the spinergy's were too flexy for a flexy bike! so deore/mavic717 wheels have been fitted. i think it looks pretty cool but i still have to sort some stickers when i get round to it!

here's a pic :D

Attachments

• proflexresized.jpg
    proflexresized.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,808
i used to have an 856 too, back in '96 i junked the twin elastomer stack, machined some spacers and fitted a coil inplace of one rubber so had a nice rising rate coil/elastomer/oil shock... :) worked really well!

nice to see you goit to the effort of bringing her back to life!

Latest posts

Back