Post your non-retro ride(s)!!!

I only ride retro as I cant afford a modern bike .

But I would like to buy a modern bike with disc brakes and a good fork . IMO the only 2 places where bikes have evolved a lot .

Do modern bikes shift better ??? Do modern wheels turn better ??? modern bikes are not lighter .
And as John said geometry hasnt evolved a lot .

that is for hardtail only . full sus are in a different league as nothing to compare to yet .

Yeah the Retro vs. Non Retro thing is a ten pint debate for sure.. I love the ride on my Uzzi and I really really don't wanna sell it.. I'm not sure why I am to be honest.. :?

It's just such a great ride, smooth, flowing and light for it's genre.. Great Sus. action and retro-esque riding position.. Hang on.. I seem to have talked myself out of selling it! :LOL:

And that Yeti surely has to be the best looking FS thing out there.. Clean lines from frame to shock to sub frame.. Noice.. :cool:

Having said that, there is nothing like a 72/74 HT scream through the woods whipping up leaves in the faces of the sluggish Bobbing Huckers*.. ;)

* Their word, not mine.

John":3k6zx06r said:
My point was that I find my 22 lb Yo Eddy and 23 lb Litespeed (both 10 or more years old) to ride quite acceptably. Certainly better than the pipedream to which I was comparing it.

In some cases that is quite definitely true.

Personally I'd say that although my classic rides were considered to be at (or towards) the top of the range when they were new, they really don't compare to something like my 5 Spot with 960 XTR etc, which just does everything so much better, I've even raced on it and won!

Rather than get into a debate on old vs new etc in the forums lets just put it on hold for the after party of the Retrobike Worldchamps - only a matter of time before it happens ;)

John: The pipedream looks quite nice but looking at how much post you're running I'd be inclined to say you need a larger frame, what size is it?

Something a little different...

y3b2hu.jpg

To add to the debate, my retro ride handles great, and on twisty singletrack its superb, but clattering down rocky decents you just can't keep up with a long travel disc braked bike. Not all rides are about getting to the end first though.
My modern rides -
custom hardtail
yl19n2.jpg

Full sus for DH and lazy xc days
y4pd75.jpg

Little bike
y860ny.jpg

stevet1":36wo38qp said:
To add to the debate, my retro ride handles great, and on twisty singletrack its superb, but clattering down rocky decents you just can't keep up with a long travel disc braked bike. Not all rides are about getting to the end first though.

Nice RFX.

I suppose it also depends on what your local trail conditions are like as well. Most of my local single track is not well groomed, is on the rough rocky side and smooth trails are relatively few and far between so the classics can be a real struggle in some cases.

Luckily I have some nice trails less than 5 minutes from my door which suit the older bikes and its always good to get out on one for an hour or two. For the all day epics its definitely the modern machinery only though :D

Well, here's my non-retro ride:

scale20-2005.jpg

Spent a lot of money on it but I doubt it's gonna be used much now that I have my S-works done and a KLEIN Rascal on the way ;-)

Oops... that's a bit large, is there a way to resize that "on the fly" (as in: just add a "height=" prop to the img tag)??

Some lovely looking bikes here. Love that Nicloai 4x, Tres cool.

Heres my modern ride. 2004 Santa Cruz Chameleon. Built to be light but burly. Rides well and I dont cry if it gets scratched :)

ylttrk.jpg

Back