Tell me About Energy Drinks

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Worthwhile or marketing hype?
I don't want anything that will make me gain weight (believe me!). My speed does drop off after 35 miles or so. I have a PSP22 bottle so may have used some in the past.

Or am I better off taking a couple of bananas with me? We are talking road riding here mainly.

Thanks.

The drinks would be better than the banana. easier to digest & quicker. I stick with water in one bottle and some thing like an energy drink in the other. No fav's what I like the look of :roll:

i go with water with a tiny amount of dilute orange incase i need to to se it to get dirt out of a cut or something and to give a hint of taste

ive read that half mix with fruit juice is good but i dont know if thats half with the dilute stuff or half of something like pure orange . maybe someone knows ?

Loss of salts is just a crucial as energy/water. 'Energy' drinks contain sodium, potassium etc. to help replace lost salt.

Although fruit juices do contain some potassium, they are very low/free in sodium.

For the sorts of distances you are riding you need a combination of water, sugar and salt. Personnaly I'd have water in both bottles then a few packets of isotonic energy gel and a banana or two (depending on distance/time).

Drinking large volumes of energy drink can make you feel sick so the gel's are quite good as they give you what you need but can be washed down with plenty of water.

You can make your own fairly economically.

For an emergency pick-me-up, the power gels are pretty good, but nothing beats a steady stream of the right sugars. Generally, water / squash should be fine for rides up to an hour at a steady pace.

Bananas are fine but a pain to unwrap, bruise easily and you have to carry the skin with you if unwrapping on the move.

I've done some really long runs (3-4 hours) with a mix of energy drinks and water to get me by. One guy I was racing with took water and a bagel and didn't have a problem. Everyone's different.

Are you carbo-loading enough beforehand?

Kestonian":1lmu0vl1 said:
Are you carbo-loading enough beforehand?

Err, no. I'm off soon to do 50 miles (if I can sort a route). This will take me a lot longer than 2-3 hours as I'm not very fit and am still in a self imposed big ring ban. I have just fitted a second bottle cage to the bike as I have been getting headaches the next day. This is despite drinking before, during and especially after. So I started to think and one of the theoies I came up with is lack of available protein. It generally is a while before I can get cooking (sorting out kids, waiting for bird to get home etc.) I really should try breakfast I suppose.

I will try a large bottle of water, on of Rock's squash and a couple of bananas today and report back.

I tend to drink just water, but eat flapjack oats/syrup/fruit It is a mix of sugars and carbs, works well for me not that far in make up from several of the energy bars on the market and a whole lot cheaper.

cchris2lou":2mqgk6lb said:
if you get headache is more likely to be a lack of sodium post ride .

Yup, dehydration is more than lost water and being tired is more than lack of carbs. I'm amazed so many cyclists don't understand this :?

I drink water with a bit of squash , but then again i am fat , so plenty of reserves . :LOL:

post ride , same again a bit of water with fruits and a bit of savoury .

Back