1987-88 Yeti Cycles "Yak"

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
I've known for a long time I wanted an 80's Yeti in my stable. Fall of 08 also marked the beginning of my search for a bike for the 09 Keyesville Vintage Mountain Bike race in California. Time was running thin when I picked this up off Yetifan, and I was lucky enough to get a friendly seller who was more than happy to see it go to a loving home. Included in the sale was many parts he had laying around which helped the build along, and the elusive original Yeti fork.

Turns out this bike has an interesting pedigree. Its original owner lives here in Durango. A former Agoura Hills resident, he followed the Yeti crew here in 91 and brought this bike with him. He dealtt directly with Chris Herting in California sometime around "87 or 88." Chris remembers this bike even today. It eventually landed in Alabama, and sat unused and unloved for years. Until I got my hands on it :)

Before:

dougyak3ws.jpg

After:

yak_sideshot.jpg

Frame: Yeti Cycles "Yak."
Frame Number: 421
Fork: Yeti
Rims: Ritchey Vantage
Hubs: Shimano XT M730
Skewers: Shimano XT
Tires: Tioga FJ Cousins
Pedals: Shimano PD-M737
Crank: Cook Brothers
Chain: Sachs / Sedisport
Rear Cogs: Shimano 6-Speed Freewheel
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M720
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M730
Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M730 Index
Handlebars: True Temper
Grips: ODI Tomac
Stem: Tioga T-bone
Headset: GT Epoch BMX
Brake set: Shimano BR-M730
Brake levers: Shimano BL-M730
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seat Post: Shimano XT
Paint: Desert Turqoise W / White panels
Size: 16.5"
Frame Weight: 5.1 lbs
Place of Origin: Agoura Hills, California, USA

The "Yak" was simply a FRO with rack eyelets and a third water bottle boss added to mee the demand for a "touring" Yeti. Story on Yetifan... or you can see the brochure here.

She's certainly no garage queen as see by the chainsuck incurred during the race last weekend. I put in two decent rides on her, taking victories in both the cross country and short track. For ride quality, its defining characteristic is its weight: 29lbs without bottles. Pointing this bike uphill just sucks. To be fair, it really doesn't come into its own until raced... agressive riding position, standing up out of every corner, etc. I wouldn't want to do anything else on this thing. Downhills are actually quite fun, and you can actually toss this sucker aound in the air is pretty easy. In the end, it is a very cool bike, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

_MG_3098.jpg

_MG_3174.jpg

yak.jpg

yak_ride.jpg

stonking.

Would have thought they would have insisted upon some more 'period' clothing for keyesville though (perhaps with exception of the helmet) ;)

theboy":3741ltk3 said:
stonking.

Would have thought they would have insisted upon some more 'period' clothing for keyesville though (perhaps with exception of the helmet) ;)

Some people rocked the whole kit. I couldn't put one together in time.

It wasnt a desire to see you in a lycra skinsuit Mike, I just wondered...

How was the event? good turnout, some nice bikes?

Great build, stunning colour. Just had a look through your blog in your link. This maintains the standards you've got running through your blog. Glad to see your not too precious about these things either ;)

Very nice. I have a FRO from the same time

and the elusive original Yeti fork.
This might be a noddy question, but what's the difference between the fork and an Accutrax? Not having either in front of me, they look quite similar.

Woody

Back