1984 Cook Bros. “Bonzo Fury”

Rimspoke2

Dirt Disciple
Had posted this in the BOTM before I knew the proper procedure.
One of the first 16 production Furys out of CBR It was an employees gift to his father. It was used but mostly as a commuter. It has seen some trails though. The bike spent most of its time in Arizona in a garage. Its mint but everything had to be cleaned. All the grease had turned to glue. Its all been torn down and rebuilt. I added the motorcycle levers and the turbo seat. It uses a bmx headset. It had a hatta alloy. I swapped it out for the more robust and trick hatta sealed bearing kongo. The grips are original. The original tires and seat are gone but I would have switched them out either way. Everythings era correct. Except for the new tires which are reissues of tires from late 80's. The frame, fork, bars, hubs, crank, and bottom bracket are all cooks. The rest is shimano's first top of the line quality mtb group. I also added the head tube decal. The bottom bracket and hubs had their bearings replaced with Phils. These are even the original cables too.
Its going to be like a trip back in time. This will hit the trail in the next few weekends hopefully.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

I added a modern Jandd Portage bag. I wanted a vintage strap but could not find one and this one was almost free. It had the velcro mounts but I cut them off and drilled holes in the bags aluminum frame to line up with the frames braze ons. I also swapped pedals for something that had clips mounted to it. This has got to be the most fun I've had off road. When I first took it to the trails my mind was going in the direction of..... This thing is a beast. Its heavy. Has no shifting ramps. Its going to be slow. The gearing is so high. I was totally wrong. The Deer Head shifts flawlessly with the Suntour freewheel. There is slight hesitation when climbing and a shift is needed but not much. In fact climbing is the best part with this bike. Just sit down pedal and it climbs like a Mountain Goat (not the bike) At times I felt like I was coasting up hill. Incredible! I wish they still made these Oakley 3s. They are so comfortable. The leverage they create is like having bar-ends. I hope the current value of nos 3s drops from 150$+.The wide bars took some getting use to with narrow trails. After hitting the bars ends on a few trees, I was use to it. Its very stable in fast steep descents are very stable allowing me to go faster than on most of my bike. There is nothing for me to complain about with this ride. Oh, Well maybe about that little floating plate that the cable attaches to on the rear derailleur. I guess the was the precursor to Shimano's floating upper pulley? Either way just a little play in the rear shifter is not bad. Its too bad more of these were not made or sold.
Here are some more detail shots I added after my first ride.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Frame:CBR Fury
Fork:CBR Fury

Headset: Hatta Kongo Sealed bearing BMX
Stem:Nitto made, Tioga marketed, CBR modified BMX
Handlebar:CBR Mountain
Grips:Oakley 3

Brakes:
Brake Pads:DeerHead
Brake Cables:DeerHead
Cantilever cable hangers:Campagnolo Euclid
Brake Levers:Tomiselli

Shifters:
Front Derailleur:DeerHead
Rear Derailleur:DeerHead
Derailleur Cables:DeerHead
Freewheel:Suntour
Chain:Sram
Cranks:CBR
Crank Bolts:CBR
Chainrings:Sugino
Chainring bolts:Sugino
Bottom Bracket:CBR
Pedals:DeerHead but xt's for riders

Hub Skewers:Bolt on
Rims:Araya 7x
Hubs:CBR
Nipples:DT Brass
Spokes:DT
Tyres:panaracer Timbuk II
Tubes:K-mart ultralight presta titanium valved

Saddle:Turbo
Seatpost:Shimano 600
Seatpost Binder:CBR

Thats a real stunner. Looks great and a real little chunk of history. Have to agree with the shift quality of the deerhead stuff- my '86 Cannondale runs it and it's pretty impressive. I love the ride of the early bikes, so pure. The way you describe the performance and climbing sounds so familiar- i've just spent a weekend getting to know my 'new' 87 FAT.
good on you for finding and caring for this important bike- enjoy it but please look after it!

Cheers
Si

Absolutely fantastic, really really nice that is :D well proportioned subtle and classy :cool:

That is a really class bike with great attention to detail on that frame. Proper old school with all the bits, especially love the Oakley grips.

thats fantastic. proper crossover from bmx to mtb. and about the only bike that deserves cook cranks ;) . well done.

YAY! Runs around the room grinning and smiling at the sight of a real retro bike :)

That... is skill on toast :LOL:

Back