I hate DAB Radio!

If it's because it's close to the TV then either your TV is giving out interference or the box is not immune to it.

Again there are a lot of BSO Freeview boxes which have been cost-engineered to the point of uselessness.
You do need a decent antenna setup. Any sparkles or snowstorm on a analogue and the chances are that your antenna needs replacement. Often just replacing the antenna cable is enough. They tend to get water in (especially at the termination into the antenna itself) which kills the signal.

I have even once visited a home where water was dripping out of the cable and the owner seemed really surprised that this was not a good idea... :shock:
..and that unsurprisingly the picture quality was suffering!

i think you need a license even if you only have a computer now

years ago when i actually had a telly i kept getting letters saying " boo scary we will throw ye in prison if you dont get a license , grr "

but i had a license :LOL:

had a nice collection of those letters in the end . i even held one in one hand and my license in the other but the threatening letter still didnt see it :LOL:

i hoped someone would turn up so i could slap the license in their face but they never did

i thought the vans going round to see if you had a propaganda machine were an urban myth ?

i thought they did it based on new purchases

http://www.fat-pie.com/tv1.htm
http://www.fat-pie.com/tv2.htm
http://www.fat-pie.com/latestmodel.htm

Now this does surprise me - I thought it was just me... :LOL:

There were early car DAB units, I had a prototype Kenwood Cassette DAB headunit.

The company I worked for spent £££ on developing a really top notch DAB receiver only for the DAB bit rate to drop, and drop, and drop some more...

I only have a black and white set, picked up just before I had an operation a few years ago and knew I'd be unable to get around for a month.
Won't be replacing it when the analogue system is switched off, although I do catch up with freeview sometimes.
The self-interest in Digital TV is apalling, especially the chat and gambling channels which I reckon are fairly sinister. They seem to be deliberately set to up to exploit the weak, or people who have mental health issues.
A couple of years ago, I used to work in social care. A man who lived in a house I was involved with ran up a horrific bill from a sex chatline, and was hounded by debt collectors. Now I have no idea where he lives anymore, but I shudder to think what kind of trouble these chat stations would get him into.

I've got a couple of DAB radios in the house (one Pure and the other a very cheap and cheerful) - very rarely have any problems. Means I can listen to 5 Live properly for once - unlike in my car where it's so cack it's untrue (on MW).

Just to give the opposing view :D

I have a really good freeview reception both with a cheap box and lately as part of the TV itself. Does that mean chances are that DAB will work OK. I really like radio and have been toying with the idea for a while.

pigman":2yie0osa said:
crankhead":2yie0osa said:
I But to appease my frustration, I cancelled my TV license. Ha! :twisted:

youve unknowingly made some new friends. The TV licence check men will come round to your house on a periodic basis to ask you the same dreary questions - "is it correct you dont have a TV lic?", "why not?"; can we take a peek inside the house?" etc etc.

a mate of mine had the same the problem. In the end, he virtually pulled them into the house, told them to check everywhere for signs of a Tv set - every room, cupboard, garage etc. He dragged them to each room. When they admitted there was no TV, he told them in no uncertain terms that he didnt ever want to see them again, else he'd sue for duress and harrassment. and concluded by telling them to #### off. He's not seen them for 2 years now.

I've not had a TV licence for 18 months and not had a visit (genuinely have not watched any TV in 18 months though), last licence was in my Mums name, came up for renewal and i just didn't think it was worth it, according to the person i spoke to you are allowed to have TV's in the house (i have three) but as long as they are not used for receiving a signal it's fine, i just unpluged the ariel wires and pulled them up into the loft, only one of the TV's is used to watch the odd DVD.

I noticed in one of the letters i got that it mentioned watching TV programs on a computer or mobile Phone requires you to have a licence but i dont know how they can legislate that.

i wouldnt put it past the bbc to be monitoring the iplayer

they would claim its for program research of course

i thought the license was for owning a tv . i can imagine people winding up the people coming to check by sitting and watching a tv without any wires and just say they enjoy just basking in it :LOL:

pigman":43qbgffm said:
crankhead":43qbgffm said:
I But to appease my frustration, I cancelled my TV license. Ha! :twisted:

youve unknowingly made some new friends. The TV licence check men will come round to your house on a periodic basis to ask you the same dreary questions - "is it correct you dont have a TV lic?", "why not?"; can we take a peek inside the house?" etc etc.

a mate of mine had the same the problem. In the end, he virtually pulled them into the house, told them to check everywhere for signs of a Tv set - every room, cupboard, garage etc. He dragged them to each room. When they admitted there was no TV, he told them in no uncertain terms that he didnt ever want to see them again, else he'd sue for duress and harrassment. and concluded by telling them to #### off. He's not seen them for 2 years now.

I wroke a letter to the TV license people some month ago after they were threatening to take me to court etc for non payment. They were right, I didn't pay BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A TV! I addressed the letter to their head of revenue protection, called him an odious little man who dared to assume that I live in a cultural and intellectual vacuum that can only be filled by a one eyed lodger sitting in the corner of my living room... the letter went on in much the same vein. I then got a charming letter of apology back, not a generic fob off and I have had peace ever since.

Back