B.S.O. Alert! Pictures Too

wilkinsons do a good suppliy of cheap bits and also try tesco extra stores.

A 79p Wilkinsons gear cable usually lasts longer than the £49.99 Tesco bike.

lgf ive never been but have been led to believe they sell those cheap skinwall looking ( yellowy rubber ) copies of the wtb velociraptor/panaracer smoke . ever seen any in there ? dont want to go in if they dont . i get easily pissed off with shops like that :LOL:

orange71":1164rupd said:
seeing some of these BSOs makes you wonder about British Standards :?

That's the other meaning isn't it?

British Standards Obsolete.

if i read correctly the bs is getting absorbed by the european standards which is stricter . i think shops were trying to thin out their older bikes for a while

This could be the worst bike to grace this site! I already want to kill it. I can't even get the old cables out of the shifters! Check these out:

Attachments

• Wot No Brake (600 x 445).jpg
    Wot No Brake (600 x 445).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,183
  • BSO (600 x 445).jpg
    BSO (600 x 445).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,183
I'm currently trying to get working a BSO for a work colleage, though thankfully his doesn't have suspension! They really are hideous though, and yeah, I ditched the gripshifts...

legrandefromage":2r6xfttr said:
ask the owner to dump those shifters - their indexing doesnt match any cassette I've been near...

Is that true 'Cheese? Just my luck to finally get the cable out and it still not work. It says "Falcon Index System" (sic) on the mech. I may have some crappy old Shimano thumbshifters somewhere. Would they work better?

Iwasgoodonce":168mtycu said:
legrandefromage":168mtycu said:
ask the owner to dump those shifters - their indexing doesnt match any cassette I've been near...

Is that true 'Cheese? Just my luck to finally get the cable out and it still not work. It says "Falcon Index System" (sic) on the mech. I may have some crappy old Shimano thumbshifters somewhere. Would they work better?

yes or if they can wait, I can bung you some stuff.

Sram MRX shifters?

Easy to get the cable out of, just pull the rubber away from near the highest gear indicated on the shifter & you should see the nipple. Push cable through from t'other side & job's a good 'un

They have a small metal part that can come adrift, or the plastic inside may have snapped, both are common issues with the MRX shifter. The metal part can be re fitted, if you know where it came from but if owt's snapped internally they're shot.

They are easy to set up for indexing LGF, I've not had any indexing issues with them :p

That bike is pretty standard for a £150 BSO, used to sell that sort of stuff by the crate. Unfortunately selling them by the crate wasn't enough to keep the bike shop going even with the repairs that they generated!

Back