Post your non-retro ride(s)!!!

Here's mine :oops:

main.php

Definitely a tool for a job rather than being anything flash.

Arran":37ocp3g5 said:
Don't get me wrong, I love retro bikes, I have a stack of them but compared to a modern piece of equipment, they're crap to ride.

Nah. Reckon you're wrong there. All of my 'decent' retro bikes ride far nicer than the pipedream but I find the pipedream infinitely more practical when crashing down descents in the Peaks and the like on which brick size rocks are liberally scattered.

Hilts":2wch12p4 said:
I don't have a 'new' bike but am thinking of getting one, anybody got any suggestions ??

Thinking hardtail and not hugely expensive...

Cheap steel hardtail to take a long travel fork and disks sounds like the ticket. I have a steel pipedream as pictured above. Nothing flash but does the job. Another couple of lads I ride with have on ones and quite like them. ALthough I couldn't personally.

Hilts":n5m924oo said:
I don't have a 'new' bike but am thinking of getting one, anybody got any suggestions ??

Thinking hardtail and not hugely expensive...

I've been thinking the same, Genesis Altitude 2.0 looks really good value, especially as it's Reynolds 853. A bit like a modern Orange Prestige in the value for money stakes.

Marin Indian Fire Trail looks nice too.

On One Inbred should never be ignored.

Ahhgh! the choices.

My bike, a 2002 Nicolai helius CC, started out as my crosscountry fully with a WHITE theme going on:

main.php

But now I use it as a Freerider

main.php

And furthermore this play bike for 4x, dirt, street: click

John":wv7bcaso said:
Nah. Reckon you're wrong there. All of my 'decent' retro bikes ride far nicer than the pipedream but I find the pipedream infinitely more practical when crashing down descents in the Peaks and the like on which brick size rocks are liberally scattered.

So you're saying that a 'well used' 21 or 24 speed, cantilever equipped, antiquated suspension toting, heavy dinosaur out-performs my sub-24lb, 27 speed bike with 15 extra years of geometry refinement, an inertia valve equipped fork and hydraulic disc brakes?

My friend, the dinosaur can't hold a candle to it. You may well prefer to ride your retro bikes but if you say they're better IMO, you must be 2 cans short of a 6 pack. I have practcally lived on a Mountain Bike for nearly 20 years so I am drawing comparisons, not just spouting garbage.

My (friendly!!!) 2c. ;)

I think that mountain bikes mean different things to different people. Moutain biking can be what ever you want it to be. Its partly down to the equipment, partly down to location/scenery/trail. Certain riders will prefer certain bikes/trails.
My P20 is stunning to ride, yet it will batter the hell out of me in somewhere like Glentress. The Yeti on the otherhand will be quicker and i'll be fresher, but more fun or exciting? Its probably equal.
If i clear my bikes, the P20 stays til i die, the rest will go at some point.

Back on topic, my Yeti 575 :LOL:
305806383_0a929981a7.jpg

Arran":3jtkxye9 said:
My (friendly!!!) 2c. ;)

:roll:

Think you ought to read my post properly before replying next time ;)

My point was that I find my 22 lb Yo Eddy and 23 lb Litespeed (both 10 or more years old) to ride quite acceptably. Certainly better than the pipedream to which I was comparing it.

I have practcally lived on a Mountain Bike for nearly 20 years so I am drawing comparisons, not just spouting garbage.

Try something high end and retro. You might like it. I can only imagine you've had 20 years of Raleigh Bombers to form such an opinion.

So you're saying that a 'well used' 21 or 24 speed, cantilever equipped, antiquated suspension toting, heavy dinosaur out-performs my sub-24lb, 27 speed bike with 15 extra years of geometry refinement, an inertia valve equipped fork and hydraulic disc brakes?

If you've been riding for 20 years then you'll know angles on 'race bikes' such as that specialized you have have moved on very little over 15 years.

"I prefer riding my retro bikes as it gets me laid more than a modern bike."

I still havent built up my modern bike yet - its coming along though bit by bit. Im waiting to be stunned by its technological advancement.

(Its a steel hardtail with a long toptube with longer suspension forks to what Im used to)

Still cant imagine it realllllly getting me that excited compared to say whippin about on a 22ib Fat Ti.

Cheers kingroon. I'm well happy with it. Its light for its travel, very comfortable and unbelievably stable. Oh and its turq :cool:

Back