Any fixed riders ?

dekerfintheshed

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bought my first fixie, albeit a modern Charge Plug Racer... Love the bike, wanted something simple as a commuter and love that "London" scene because I like anything that gets new people into cycling.
Anyhow, tried fixed for the first time the other day, nearly had a heart attack when I went downhill literally lifting my feet off the pedals. Are there any seasoned fixed boys that could pass on some tips as to how I get more proficient at it ?

Hey up Paul, just bought a Roberts frame to convert to fixed :cool: . Used to ride a track bike in my early teens takes a little getting used too :LOL:

I originally tried riding fixed a couple of years ago and gave up pretty quickly without really trying it properly. However I have been commuting fixed for about 9 months now and am really enjoying it and have ridden 50 hilly miles. That said, I would definitely not describe myself as a seasoned fixed rider.

As the original poster says, it's the downhills that are the trickiest, particularly when your legs are tired and, for me at least, front and rear brakes are essential. But it's worth sticking with it as the instances of forgetting to pedal quickly decrease, indeed when riding a geared bike you can easily forget to freewheel!

Yes stick with it, after a while you'll notice that your legs do there own thing and will turn over much faster than before. But front and rear brakes are good to start with (and all the time IMO) don't try braking with your legs just yet. After a while and a couple of kick backs you won't think about it kinda like clipless pedals. Then you will have reached zen enlightenment :LOL:

For running downhills I used to put my legs into a reverse force, effectively putting back pressure on the pedals as they rose up. This slowed me down a bit when descending and meant that my legs were already set to brake should the need arise as I was riding with a front anchor only. Fixed is a little bit of relearning your riding and so long as you stick with it it becomes second nature.

I just picked up a Raleigh Equipe and i'm thinking of butchering it and turning it into a fixie too!

Been riding fixed for nearly 30 years.
Just remember to keep pedaling!

Remember a lad back in the early 80's at Kirkby Track League. Was his first time on the track + first time on fixed. He crossed the finish line flat out then stopped pedaling - he did a complete 360 in the air (bike still attached) + skidded on his side for a reasonable distance before coming to a halt!

Didn't see him at the track again!

Back