1996 Kona Explosif - Update 1/10/09

dyson":2wghwv0r said:
I was thinking of respraying it day glo pink... :D
Now Anthony lets not take things too seriously!
I would not sell my Kona, it may have the odd patch of rust here and there but as my commuter scoot I have some great rides to and from work down the trail at the side of the local river.
I've even got some new decals (Hawaiian style I hasten to add...) from Gil so that one day after a respray in it's original plumb blue it will be like new.
But you have to admit that guy's explosif was a treat.
That's even worse! Now it's my bike you're insulting :evil:

See below for the difference between your very cool indeed 97 Kilauea (well mine actually) and a 98 Kilauea, which IMPO doesn't look quite so nice.

Good plan incidentally.

But yes, I completely agree that neither bike (nor indeed either photograph) can compete with Chiringuita's efforts.

Attachments

• 1998 Kilauea size 19 original equip.jpg
    1998 Kilauea size 19 original equip.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,916
  • Kilauea at Devil's Dyke 5S.jpg
    Kilauea at Devil's Dyke 5S.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,916
Yeah 97 does look a bit more classy. Is that A Manitou Spyder SX fork? Different from the usual Rock Shox and colour matches the logos quite well. I've been after a Judy for ages but having problems getting one with a long enough steerer so sticking with P2's.

I'll post a pic of my bike at some point - maybe my over familiarity has lessened my appreciation of it.

They are cool little bikes to ride mind and I've wanted one since I read a test in Moutain Bike World when it was new, still have the article and now bike to match.

Cheers Anthony, happy riding :)

Hey could you post a scan of that MBW article in the Scans forum here? I'd like to see that.

The fork is a 1998 Manitou SX-R, cost £390 new but I paid a mere £130 to some guy who had raced them for a season. Must be worth £30 now, but works ok and short enough to keep the handling sharp. The trouble with Judy SLs is most of them don't work, you can't get either elastomers or upgrade kits any more, and I'm not sure the undamped spring kits really do the business.

I'd say a Bomber Z2 is the way to go - a great fork and they all still work. In this thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46011
is the only 97 Kilauea SE I've ever seen, with the frame tastefully colour-matched to the fork.

Apologies to Chiringuita for invading his excellent thread.

Cheers for the fork tip, sounds good.

Will do my best to get article scanned

Aye sorry Chiringuita for elbowing in - but just look at the debate your amazing bike has started! Enjoy your riding in the Spanish sun.

Kona Kilaeua 97 review

Have posted a scanned review of a '97 Kona Kilauea in my album - Anthony as promised.

All the best

Ian

Re: Kona Kilaeua 97 review

dyson":16e3pvai said:
Have posted a scanned review of a '97 Kona Kilauea in my album - Anthony as promised.
All the best
Ian
Great, thanks. "It's a great looker, in a plain dark blue with cool graphics sort of way" Hmmmm, how very true.

More pics. :cool:

dsc00181z.jpg

dsc00192p.jpg

Back