retro sucks, its to much like hard work or so I thought

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
while my 06 full susser is in bits I decided to take a spin on one of the old bikes hanging up in the garage, the zaska got dusted off and a set of pedals stuck on it and off I went
twenty minutes into the ride I was starting to regret it! which way to twist the grip shifts? jeez rim brakes suck, and that flite saddle should not be that far up my arse! my back was starting to ache, my forearms started to pump up! my arse was feeling every rut, bump, stone, twig the rear end hit, my eye balls were rattling round in their sockets!
I was about to turn round and go home and bow down to the god of 6'' travel front and rear with disc brakes and shimano trigger shifters when I hit the first bit of fast single track and the reason why I liked the Zaska and the rest of the set up :) came back to me, the way it leapt out from under you when you stomped on the pedals the way the rc35's tracked true and held the line you put them on and dont bounce up and down as you pedal,# the way the bike moved under you from side to side as you shifted your wieght around, it all came back me the different riding style needed to make the bike work for you and the decision to turn round and head home was forgot :D 14 miles later and the loss of light forced my hand and back home I headed, the back still aches a bit, the forearms have gone down but that saddle has left a mark not even the wife is going to see :shock: right back on with the amp b2 rebuild maybe retro isnt that bad after all?

# hard elastomers help :)

yep

ride the bike dont let the bike ride you :cool:

i struggle to see why the vast majority of riders want to spend many thousands on bikes that take us away from the aspect we set out to achieve in the first place which is having good fun over some rough ground

i've found this aswel, up until 2 1/2 years ago i wouldn't have gone back to the old stuff coz modern is easier to ride but then the riding i have around here i just don't need super powerful brakes or loads of travel, so all of a sudden retro rigid makes alot of sense, hence now having the list below!

but it is a different style of riding between modern and retro, i think that riders of retro stuff tend to pick smoother lines where as modern bike riders can just batter over stuff.

both have their place. :D but dust off the zaskar a bit more often, your riding on the 6" rig will improve aswel

:D

my kona was perfect today on fast mostly flat trails where nailing it roadbike style can be the way forward but modern stuff can be better suited to more technical extreme riding like for example the alps.

that's my distinction anyway

:D

I have been thinking about this for a while .... Does my style/expertise/locations of riding really warrant a modern 5" full bouncer with discs all round? Im never going to be trying to ride a boulder field or make 10ft jumps lol :LOL:

Or can I quite happlily do everything I want on a well prepared older rig? :D

havnt looked out the window for a few hours but last time i did i didnt live in the alps and unless i wake up tomorrow and suddenly find myself in the mountains i wont be getting a boingy bike :LOL:

daj":2ocstxgj said:
I have been thinking about this for a while .... Does my style/expertise/locations of riding really warrant a modern 5" full bouncer with discs all round? Im never going to be trying to ride a boulder field or make 10ft jumps lol :LOL:

Or can I quite happlily do everything I want on a well prepared older rig? :D
There's very little that i can ride on the 575 that the P20 couldn't handle. The 575 will allow me to get away with more risks/lack of ability. It is more comfortable on day rides. The P20 can do day rides, but its not as comfortable. However give the P20 some stick and it does feel very special ;) :LOL:

As long as you're happy with what you ride and you can ride what you want, it doesn't matter ;)

Back