Let's see those retro road bikes

My Carlton 'roadie'

Had this frameset made-to-measure by the Raleigh 'boys' at the Special Products Division when it had moved from Ilkeston to Nottingham.

As Gerald O'Donovan measured-me-up for it himself I asked if I could have the Carlton name placed on it instead of Raleigh. Gerald was the Manager of Carlton Cycles between 1960 and 1973 and so he was happy to oblige. http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/history/gerodon.htm In fact, at the time I had the frame made (1989) the Carlton logo on the two racing cycles made by Raleigh was in a 'handwritten' script style but when the frame was delivered and unwrapped I was 'chuffed' to see that Gerald had found some of the older Carlton logos to use. :D

Over the years I have had many varied components on it but am now happy that there is more Italian (Campagnolo) than Japanese (in fact I think only the tyres are oriental - in this pic which was taken a while ago the hubs where ShimaNO but they are now Campagnolo).

Although I love the Ergopower levers my favourite shifters where the wing-nut-like Suntour Command Shifters Powershifters (whatever happened to them?) They where great as you could use the brakes and down-shift at the same time whenever a 'lout' stepped-out in front of you. They fitted on the inside of the handlebars about where the thumb lever of the Ergopower is now. I never saw any other bike with them fitted but they where great. Here is a link to an image of them. http://takachi.no-ip.com/cycletouring/b ... d/cmd1.htm

Attachments

• carlton200.JPG
    carlton200.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 4,667
I'm curious to know why the image of my Carlton doesn't show in my thread if I browse to it normally, yet the minute I Log-In to Retrobike it appears. Have I done something wrong when uploading the image?

I'd like to know so that I can make the image available to casual browsers as well as Retrobike members.

Cheers

Colnago

Not sure if this is retro yet, although given the price that 1st edition Campag Record 10sp stuff is going for I expect it is.
Its a Master X Light with 2000 Record group and special edition Mavic SSC ceramic clincher rims from 1999. The stem is a Cinelli XA, seatpost Record alloy and the only modern things are a pair of 2009 Centaurs, which I like very much, and Time RXS pedals which seem to be the only thing I can use that don't give me sore knees and squeeks.

The frame originally came with Force carbon forks which I changed for these threaded Precisa jobs - I can now change bar height depending on how sore my back is on the day. The whole bike weighs 18.4lbs. Its a bit fast for me actually - not that smooth for a steel framed bike until its ridden past 20mph - this only happens downhill nowadays!

It is considerable smoother with a pair of Campag Record Pave rims I have built, also on Record hubs but 36h front and rear and using a lighter spoke tension. These are the best wheels I have ever owned.

:)

Attachments

• MasterXLsmall.jpg
    MasterXLsmall.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 4,201
Re: Colnago

lelobysfoot":zj50dguo said:
Not sure if this is retro yet, although given the price that 1st edition Campag Record 10sp stuff is going for I expect it is.
Its a Master X Light with 2000 Record group and special edition Mavic SSC ceramic clincher rims from 1999. The stem is a Cinelli XA, seatpost Record alloy and the only modern things are a pair of 2009 Centaurs, which I like very much, and Time RXS pedals which seem to be the only thing I can use that don't give me sore knees and squeeks.

The frame originally came with Force carbon forks which I changed for these threaded Precisa jobs - I can now change bar height depending on how sore my back is on the day. The whole bike weighs 18.4lbs. Its a bit fast for me actually - not that smooth for a steel framed bike until its ridden past 20mph - this only happens downhill nowadays!

It is considerable smoother with a pair of Campag Record Pave rims I have built, also on Record hubs but 36h front and rear and using a lighter spoke tension. These are the best wheels I have ever owned.

:)

It's definitely a Classic and, at the very least, approaching Retro.

I like it!

23 years old.....

100_0166.jpg

100_0165.jpg

some extra sensational roadies on here...

Here is what i think is the first Aussie road bike on here. It was before I sourced a front mech. I ended up riding this bike for a year and then selling it as i moved overseas. it is a Kenevans 59sq frame (as i remember), reynolds 653, no chain stay bridge (which seems to be the norm with 653.... no idea why?), campy athena, one important part of DA, cinelli bits.

No offense to anyone else here, but i'm yet to see a paint job that i think is better...
1671420744_212519caea_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back