Norman Fay tourer - Gentlemans's conveyance

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A 'heap' of black rusty tubing got dropped off a few weeks ago from a nice gentleman called Conrad. Never got to meet him but the missus raised an eyebrow or three as this was kindly delivered.

I like a challange and thought it was not too far gone to tackle.

Original Campagnolo headset - U/S

Chainset - U/S

Campagnolo seatpost - forever welded to the frame

BB - came out surprisingly easy considering the pedal arms were welded on by corrosion.

I had some spare Sugino GT cranks, Campagnolo Xenon mechs, Weinmann cantis and a spare innertube.

Add on can of quality black spray paint, some new cables, a few odds & sods from my parts bin and there we are:

Attachments

• norman fay tourer.jpg
    norman fay tourer.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 668
  • norman.jpg
    norman.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 668
  • fay.jpg
    fay.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 667
Interesting bike. Poor Norman was killed last year on his way to York Rally on a vintage bike, run down from behind. He was a member of the Bygone Bykes Club. Sadly missed.

Old Ned":dmkgroqz said:
Interesting bike. Poor Norman was killed last year on his way to York Rally on a vintage bike, run down from behind. He was a member of the Bygone Bykes Club. Sadly missed.

:shock:

Thats horrible - sent shivers down my spine reading that. Awful how we're wiped out so easily.

I'll take a bit more care over this build then.

I'm in love - I've created a luvverly gentleman's tourer, nice responve frame. (you'll notice he doesn't say he's in lurve with me - Mark's other half!)

Will wait for some nice parts to come along and improve it.

Jobs done since pic:

Convert Miche hubs to Q/R

change mechs to add a cable guide for the front mech..

Jobs to do:

Re-fit Campagnolo headset

move seized seatpost

Finish detailing the frame.

Thats realy very nice, get a carradice saddlebag and you will be all set for lots of exciting adventures, with lashings and lashings of ginger beer.

Back