Hydraulic disc/rim brakes - mix & match

mk1Matt

Retro Guru
Ok, hypothetical question. A buddy of mine has a frame with out rear disc mount, and with a non-disc rear hub, but he wants to converts the front to disc. He'd ideally like a hydraulic setup. What he'd also like is a hydraulic rim brake (Magura) on the rear.

This will potentially leave him with two different brake levers, which would get annoying from an aesthetics point of view. Is it possible to mix & match the levers i.e. use Magura Julie (for example) levers on magura rim brakes, or the other way round?

I think they re different pressures :?

I've had nothing but excellent service from Magura - maybe worth giving them a call?

MAGURA BIKE PARTS UK LTD.
Unit 1, Ivanhoe Industrial Estate, Tournament Way,
LE65 2UU Ashby De La Zouch
Leicestershire
phone: 01530 414142
fax: 01530 414122
service_uk@magura.de
www.magura.com

Think its a different type of system too closed and open types. What about cable operated discs?

The older Julies can be used with a Race Line lever as they used the same hose (and I know someone who's done it). The newer Julies use a different hose and so they won't work very well - if at all.

There's not much wrong with the stopping power of a 185mm Avid BB7 / XTR V set up in my opinion.

Alternatively, the old style Shimano hydraulic levers match up quite well with Avid V levers

Attachments

• Manitou.JPG
    Manitou.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 459
Back