2000 San Andreas

see what you mean about the crankset :shock: , suppose these were not ment to be pedaled sitting down- save some weight and just get rid of the post and flite ;)

great bike there fella.....needs barends....we should all meet up one day san andreas owners club kinda thing.... :cool:

ps ya need a biiiggg ring on there mate the chainset looks too small....this is why i have a 52 top .....although we are lacking in the slope content some what in norfolk.... :oops: :oops:

Sanny

Its deffo a 2000, they got down specced after then, as they went into liquidation and were bought out. They sprouted non adjustable geometry, poorer build and non sealed bearings. 2000 or earlier is the way to go.
IMHO I would have gone for some Fox 140's, just the frame and forks weighes heavier than many of my trail bikes!

That's a neat bike.

Crazy high BB! Reminds me of my old Gemini FR when I put an 8" Manitou Travis on it. The bad thing is that all of your friends will be able to get low and out-corner you with their low-BB race bikes (low-BB's are the current trend on the Sundays, Demo, etc.). But for hucking and riding technical stuff your San Andreas ('specially with the Monster T's!) should be perfect.

You're making me want another DH rig. I saw a Balfa BB7 with a Junior T listed locally for $800... too bad it's $800 I no longer have :s

hondamatic":35y02fpj said:
That's a neat bike.

Crazy high BB! Reminds me of my old Gemini FR when I put an 8" Manitou Travis on it. The bad thing is that all of your friends will be able to get low and out-corner you with their low-BB race bikes (low-BB's are the current trend on the Sundays, Demo, etc.). But for hucking and riding technical stuff your San Andreas ('specially with the Monster T's!) should be perfect.

You're making me want another DH rig. I saw a Balfa BB7 with a Junior T listed locally for $800... too bad it's $800 I no longer have :s

I'm no great downhiller though :LOL: , i like my LTS DH but at 30lb that could still climb hills, with the Monster T's the San An will be far heavier, going to see how i get on with it , i may love it so much the weight wont be an issue :).

Interesting about the trend in bottom bracket height changing, i'd have imagined a lower bottom bracket to be better making the bike more stable at speed ?.

I know these bikes are adaptable and i could have gone for a lighter, shorter fork but it already has the 7" travel rear so i went for the 175mm Monsters to match.

Looking forward to getting it riding though :cool:

jimihendrix":3vg8dsym said:
I'm no great downhiller though :LOL: , i like my LTS DH but at 30lb that could still climb hills, with the Monster T's the San An will be far heavier, going to see how i get on with it , i may love it so much the weight wont be an issue :).

Interesting about the trend in bottom bracket height changing, i'd have imagined a lower bottom bracket to be better making the bike more stable at speed ?.

I know these bikes are adaptable and i could have gone for a lighter, shorter fork but it already has the 7" travel rear so i went for the 175mm Monsters to match.

Looking forward to getting it riding though :cool:

That's right, a lower BB helps the bike at speed and especially during cornering. With a low BB the bike feels less "bent over" and you feel a lesser need to keep the bike square to the ground.

When I went from my choppered Gemini to a new (in '07) Demo 7, there was a great difference - the new bike cornered much more easily and I felt more comfortable on bermed corners, at speed (esp when cornering) and in the air. That said, I started clipping pedals more often and had to take care to drop and jump with the cranks horizontal. The difference wasn't as great if I was riding low-speed tech sections or drops.

I sold the Demo early last year (3 months after purchase - to finance a house :s) and borrowed the Gemini to ride in Whistler last summer (it's now my little brother's, he put on a Lyrik 2-step - which has a similar axle-to-crown as the Travis 203 dual-crown). I was nervous hitting big, high-speed jumps with it (A-Line - also I was outta practice), but it did really well on the low-speed technical sections and low-speed drops. The raked-out front end did tend to compress the rear more than the front. (More on that below.)

One thing I did do to the Gemini is replace the stock Vanilla RC with a bargain-bin Fox DHX 5.0. It rides much better as a result, although a less-fancy platform shock like a Swinger 4-way or a DHX 3.0/4.0 would have helped too. The only thing is that I couldn't find the proper-weight spring in a suitable length (to suit a 7.878 eye-eye), so the rear end was saggy with a 550# spring.

Sorry to go on and on. If you have any questions about setup, let me know... I too experimented with making an old single-pivot bike ride nicely, and I could always ask my DH'ing friends. The couple of suggestions are:

-Try to find a platform shock in the right i2i/stroke; you may find one cheap (like I did, $150!), it'll make the bike less of a squishy tank and your vanilla may need a recharge anyway;

-If your Vanilla needs a recharge, look into having it done by Push or someone similar. They can re-valve it for a 'platform' effect;

-A 6-7" travel dual-crown fork like your Bomber, a 2004 Rock Shox Boxxer or a 160/180mm Travis dual crown would give you the lowest axle-crown, dropping the rear end and making the bike feel a little more balanced.[/list]

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I want a go on that :shock:

I almost bought some Monster T's a couple of years ago - but I don't have a motorbike :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Great bike.

Back