To respray or not?

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello there,

I got me a frame yesterday. Had me eye on it for quite some time, it's a 1991 KLEIN Rascal:

KLEINrascal1991.jpg

Now, around the top tube/seat tube joint it's got something under the paint:

KLEINrascalpaint.jpg

Anyone got any idea what this might be (alu-corrosion?). But I guess I should get a total respray... or won't it affect the frame and just leave it like this until the paint comes off by itself and then go for a respray?

Thanx and cheers all,

Dennis

(PS: anyone got spare Rascal decals??) :)

It's possibly water damage to the aluminium, it's got between the frame and paint, i'd get the frame looked at.

ATB

John

I 2nd that

It sometimes happens. In particular rides on the beach can have impact, because of salt water.

Respray is an option, but if you source perfect matching paint and have a secure hand you can also treat the specific area.

OK, I'll scrape off the paint and see what's beneath...

I'll have to go for a full respray then anywayz, since there are some more area's that don't have paint anymore. It's shouldn't be too hard to get this black/green paintjob done somewhere.

Thanx y'all ;-)

I am in the same situation with my Klein Attitude.
I have the original decals, i'm just not sure even Klein could match the original paint finish now. :cry:

Disco Drive":2g9lsrmz said:
I am in the same situation with my Klein Attitude.
I have the original decals, i'm just not sure even Klein could match the original paint finish now. :cry:

From what I heard they don't do that anymore... just current paintscheme's (and it's gonna go to Trek then).

Well, I just contacted a company here that professionally sprays frames (and even decals if you have to). And it ain't that expensive....

Its probably started collecting in the internal cable routing, something that looksneat but is a pain in the asre in reality.

Seen a lot of late '70's and early '80's Aston Martin V8's go like that around the glass. Water collects and the gets under the piant. Have it repainted, shouldn't be a structural thing as it is surface corrosion only.

Argos will almost certainly get the cool Rascal logo made up again for you. They did a sterling job on my Dyna-Tech, got the type face done exactly right!

The lowers on the Mag21s I have on my Attitude have done the same thing, but I'm just leaving them as is at this stage as there's no one local (to me) that I know of who can paint them in the correct fade.

Back