1994 Marin Palisades Trail

unocogero

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Me and my brother bought this as a suprise (£65 off ebay) for my other brother this Christmas. It was the bike he always dreamed of but couldn't afford.

We built it to be ridden, not fettled so we took the canti's off and replaced them. Having now spent more time fiddleing with canti's I should have left them on.

I even buffed the crank arms on the wife's industrial buffer thing (a machine, not a euphemism) but he snapped the pedal off on the first ride bunny hopping :oops:

Attachments

• Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,645
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,641
It's the third bike I've done and it was a pleasure to clean up. The !st and only owner had coated everything in oil and lube over the years so it looked really bad but cleaned up to a really top shine!

Prof, I read on your Kona build that you shone up a pair of black cranks, what process did you use?

yeah they were ano black so i stuck them in some caustic soda to remove the anodising. they were also a kinda shot peened finsh, so i used some corse sandpaper (like 120 grit i think) to take away the rough finish then i just worked down through finer and finer grades of paper ( i think i used 300 then 400 dry then 1200 and finally 2500 wet. then finished it off with some cutting compund then autoglym car polish/wax pm me if you need more info.

Back