Tents and camping

Blimey- haven't seen one of those for years - we used to have a blue one - old M reg! Spent many a happy hour in it!

tents etc

Try - http://www.wildday.co.uk/Index.aspx

these guys were v helpful a couple of years ago when a pal was buying gear for motorcycle camping. V knowledgeable and good prices. Based in Nairn too so can combine with a trip to the 'gorms :p :p if you want to look at goods on site

Me and a mate have split for a Coleman tent,we got it off ebay for £30
It was £30 brand new[[original cost £150]
It has two separate 2-person rooms and a central living area
Try for one with said large living area .Keeps your bedding dry and is a nice place to sit/cook/eat/

kaiser":2zisaeqf said:
looking for a tent at the moment any tents to look out for? Anywhere particularly good value? Anything else? Looked(online) at a Vango beta 350 3 man tent with a porch any thing like that I should be looking for?

I have the four man version of this tent and it survived blizzards in the lakes a few weeks ago.

Cheers all, gonna go bigger than first thought but not too big,have a few that I'm watching but need to act soon.

Beware the Vango!!
BITD they were the poodles plums, not any more.
We bought a 5 berth Vango hoop tent about 4 years ago, its leaked on the seams and door zips from day one, pooling on the ground sheet, and GRP poles snap in windy conditions cutting tent fabric.
We also own a Khyam quick erect jobby that has been a good well thought out piece of kit :)

Absolutely correct - 1970s Vangos were (and some still are, I have two) utterly bombproof - but that's because they were made in Greenock, beside the shipyards :cool:

Unfortunately the new one's are made in China and although well designed, materials and construction are lacking in robustness. I got a new all-weather one 4/5 years ago and have already had a new pole and at least one High Wind Tent Inversion Experience - which luckily the tent recovered from. Several small tears in fabric too.

That's bloomin' economics for ya :roll:

Mind you - its not just Vango this affects - most manufacturers are the same, something to do with built in obsolescence and limited lifespan useability. Sucks.

porkypaw":3icoht13 said:
Beware the Vango!!
BITD they were the poodles plums, not any more.
We bought a 5 berth Vango hoop tent about 4 years ago, its leaked on the seams and door zips from day one, pooling on the ground sheet, and GRP poles snap in windy conditions cutting tent fabric.
We also own a Khyam quick erect jobby that has been a good well thought out piece of kit :)

Back