1992 Trek 9000 - Finished 12/3/09

Fairly sure the forks were made by Showa too – air-oil if I recall – so might respond to the old-school approach of changing oil weights, depths etc for tuning

Got the build finished tonight.

Brief spec is as follows:
DX rear mech, cranks, cantis and hubs
XT shifters/levers and front mech
Kalloy seatpost and bar
KORE stem
Vetta saddle
WTB Velociraptor tyres

Havent ridden it yet, so report to follow probably after the weekend.

Attachments

• DSCN2143.JPG
    DSCN2143.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 4,112
  • DSCN2142.JPG
    DSCN2142.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 4,112
  • DSCN2140.JPG
    DSCN2140.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 4,112
  • DSCN2139.JPG
    DSCN2139.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 4,112
Gets a thumbs up from me!! :D

I like it, look forward to the road test report

How does it weight up compared to the proflex?

I like the simplicity of the design. I like/admire your enthusiasim despite the fact that you know deep down its wrong, in ride quality anyway. Cracking effort ;)

Crowning Glory

Bolas grandes! :cool:

Now I dare you to either put it on MTBR VRC or ride a lap of MM 09!!!

Mr K

Attachments

• Challenge Pickle!.jpg
    Challenge Pickle!.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4,082
Crayons":1ro5y8jh said:
Fairly sure the forks were made by Showa too – air-oil if I recall – so might respond to the old-school approach of changing oil weights, depths etc for tuning

Yup, Showa made the Mogul line of forks for Trek, as well as the earlier DS-2 and DDS-3 forks (the black ones that weigh like 8 pounds.) I actually had an early DS-2, and the thing was nice on compression, felt like a couch. The downside was that the brace was a POS so even though the thing weighed a ton, it was a complete noodle. The fork also had an irritating trait in that it would 'pack' while riding, the rebound was way too weak, regardless of air pressure or dampening. You'd start a trail with a 2" travel fork, and end up 10 miles in with an 8lb flexy rigid fork instead. I had an opportunity to ride the Moguls when they came out, and the only thing I gathered that was any different was the color, performance was very smilar to the DS-2.

OK, I'm exagerating on the 8 lbs...call it 7! :shock:

On a queen, especially a 9000, you gotta have the Mogul on there, so I applaud you for keeping it. Neat little piece of mountain bike developmental history there, Pickle. Good Work! :cool: Now If you really like weird and not at all functional, your next challenge should be a Crosstrac Sonoma with the little surgical tubing air pressure link between the two fork legs, and the weird Firestone air bladder rear suspension that looks like a plunger head. THAT would be even cooler! Might cost more though... :shock: :cool:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, and the fact that you understand what I have tried to do here :cool:

mrkawasaki":1edyiaql said:
Bolas grandes! :cool:
Now I dare you to either put it on MTBR VRC or ride a lap of MM 09!!!
Mr K

Capt K, this bad boy is getting ridden at MM09 ;)

I fear after the first bump there will be a faint 'squipping' sound as Pickle is shot into orbit never to be seen by mortal man again....

Pickle":12tvc7hu said:
Capt K, this bad boy is getting ridden at MM09 ;)

just dont stand up when the rear end goes over a bump. the bike will hit you in a very painful place............. :LOL:

Back