OT. Any Website Gurus here?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Finding myself with a surfeit of time and a lack of disposable cash, I am trying to do my own website. Other than "don't" can anyone help? I have manage to create a basic HTML page. Does anyone have an html to English translator?

May be a bit OTT for you but years back I bought 'Dreamweaver Hands on Training' and used a cracked copy of Dreamweaver. Started at page one and followed it through to the end. Teaches you good habits from the start, you learn using a WYSIWYG but pick up HTML as you go. Not sure what the current version of the book or Dreamweaver is.

Dreamweaver teaches bad coding practice.

Best way to learn is through a syntaxed editor like html-kit.

I reccomend getting a book from amazon about xhtml and css to get you started

I agree Dreamweaver does encourage really sloppy coding, but it's a good platform for someone with little or no previous experience to get started.
I was lucky in that I was taught HTML coding from day one, which is really useful for tweaking stuff and making things work exactly as you want them to.
Unfortunatley I don't do enough website building anymore and everything has moved on form pure HTML, so i feel a bit obsolete...

Dreamweaver may produce sloppy code but the book I recommended does show you how to produce web pages that work across many web browsers and screen resolutions. The screen resolution issue is the bit that persuaded me to learn Dreamweaver correctly, at the time I had a website that looked fine in 800x600 but anything much bigger was horendous.

You can have a look at my work at www.parkpre.com if you want to rip it to bits. And I know the site needs an update before you start.

REKIBorter":1bk1fi1l said:
Dreamweaver may produce sloppy code but the book I recommended does show you how to produce web pages that work across many web browsers and screen resolutions. The screen resolution issue is the bit that persuaded me to learn Dreamweaver correctly, at the time I had a website that looked fine in 800x600 but anything much bigger was horendous.

You can have a look at my work at www.parkpre.com if you want to rip it to bits. And I know the site needs an update before you start.

That looks pretty damn fine to me. I have just got a hyperlink to another web page to work and am just writing another basic page so I can internal link to that. Haven't got images to appear though. I think I haven't got the link right that's all.
Thanks for your input thus far. I'm going to have a fair few questions about this!

I think you will start best if you get a basic page template set up first, then you can add content to suit the page. This will give your site a consistent look across pages. Start simple - get it working - then develop it as your knowledge grows.

Back