Live Yeast....Damson wine on the go now

TheGreenRabbit":2mm1k7gw said:
e-bay !!

Try Turbo Yeast - Simply add this yeast with 6 kg of granulated sugar to 21 litres of water to produce 14%abv alcohol in 48 hours!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alcotec-Turbo-Yea ... 240%3A1318

:LOL: i've waited 6 months already, i can wait a bit longer, sounds like cracking stuff, but not sure what it'll do to my damsons :shock:

FluffyChicken":2mm1k7gw said:
No idea Laughing

do you have Wilko's down there, just get the dried yeast they sell it on there site
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0022659

edit

seems you do
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/store ... mit=search

Excellent! You're a star! Just the stuff! I never would have thought of Wilkinsons!

Iwasgoodonce":2mm1k7gw said:
Any homebrew shop. Large Boots used to have some. Wine yeast can take a higher % of alcohol before it dies.

That's just it, there aren't any homebrew shops anymore, not round me, that i can find anyway. I know Boots used to sell stuff, got my first 5 gallon beer bucket from there many years ago.

Ah, so that's the difference, cheers ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sorted :cool: turns out i didn't need live yeast, just the dried stuff for wine.

5 gallons of Damson wine on the boil now. I had to nip to the 24 hr Asda to buy the sugar that i forget to buy :oops: :LOL:

I felt quite dodgy buying 7 bags of sugar and nothing else :LOL:

"First you get the sugar, then you get the power ...."

Probably no use for wine, but as an ex baker, if you are in asda ask at the bakery for fresh yeast: they give it away for free and it makes the best bread [I love the fact that Walmart gives away the stuff: when I asked a chi chi artisan baker in town if I could have some, he told me to get stuffed].

I used my damsons for damson gin: no mystique - some damsons; some gin; some sugar: leave it for a while. Totally awesome, and just the thing to get you through the post christmas blues.

doctor-bond":3n2f8qnv said:
"First you get the sugar, then you get the power ...."

Probably no use for wine, but as an ex baker, if you are in asda ask at the bakery for fresh yeast: they give it away for free and it makes the best bread [I love the fact that Walmart gives away the stuff: when I asked a chi chi artisan baker in town if I could have some, he told me to get stuffed].

I used my damsons for damson gin: no mystique - some damsons; some gin; some sugar: leave it for a while. Totally awesome, and just the thing to get you through the post christmas blues.

Gin :roll: bugger missed a trick there, something a bit stronger.
oh well, there's always another batch to start this year. The tree fruited so much last year that a big branch broke off with the weight! This is while most of the countries damson trees never fruited last year :shock:

My two pear trees hardly fruited at all, but the apple went mad, huge things the size of two fists.... anything alcoholic i can make with cooking apples? Or crab apples?

You are a lucky man with that mega fruity tree: I scoured the hedgerows to find enough berries to slake my gin.

I also tried soaking some quinces in calvados with cinamon, which is something like an old tudor recipe: waste of good calvados: tasted like tudor p$ss

Might work better with pears?

doctor-bond":7qoqxoxj said:
You are a lucky man with that mega fruity tree: I scoured the hedgerows to find enough berries to slake my gin.

I also tried soaking some quinces in calvados with cinamon, which is something like an old tudor recipe: waste of good calvados: tasted like tudor p$ss

Might work better with pears?

You would not believe the fruit that came off that tree. There would have been enough to make another 15 to 20 gallons of wine, but I was too lazy. Gave quite a lot away to family, my Mum made some yummy jam and a thick glazing jam that's lush on pork! I was fighting over the fruit with the local squirrels, damn things.

Gin is the way to go this year :cool:

I'll have a go with the pears, they are too hard to do anything else with, have you got some directions/recipe to follow? Sounds interesting and worth a go!

If I get another bumper crop you are welcome to some :D

Try to find some campden tablets for the air lock. Once spring arrives, every fruit fly within ten miles will be banging on the windows trying to get in.

Iwasgoodonce":2uti60oa said:
Try to find some campden tablets for the air lock. Once spring arrives, every fruit fly within ten miles will be banging on the windows trying to get in.

Sorted already cheers :D

Back