Retro (galaxy) or new (Kona Sutra)...any advice?

unocogero

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I can get a Kona Sutra on the Ride to Work scheme for £550.

I like the mountain bike looks and tourer style but I have been thinking of a classic galaxy as well.

I'm new to road bikes and wondered about advantages/disadvantages and whether anyone had ridden a Kona sutra?

Also is 30 pounds too heavy for a tourer?

The galaxy has a long history, but the Kona has the modern looks, if it was my money, I'd plump for the Kona, just becase of the name. If you are looking for a touring bike have a look at the CTC forum, they will answer this question with pleasure.

I wasted alot of money on a modern Galaxy and a Claud Butler Dalesman - they were rubbish - no twang in the frame, no nice 'feel'

I also had the 26" wheel Dawes Sardar which is similar to the Galaxy but is meant for heavy touring/ expedition.

Again, heavy rubbish - not quite sure at whom they're aimed at anymore.

I've had more fun with a rebuilt mystery 531 frame with canti mounts and some modern parts.

Try drops on a sorted MTB frame.... ;)

Interesting. I had thought about drops on a MTB but i thought it might feel a bit cramped and no big wheel benefit.

I want it quite upright as when i've tried racer racers I feel really uncomfortable. What about a retro galaxy?

this was hilarious and turned out to be very comfortable:

Attachments

• theprovenwinterbike.JPG
    theprovenwinterbike.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,171
What about a surley long haul trucker ?, unless you want to carry a load look for what they used to call Audax frames, its a a racing bike that will take mudguards and a rack. what about a cyclocross bike ? many of them come with all the braze ons for racks & mudguards, have alook at the specilised tricross, not as fast as a Audax bike but a little easyer to get hold of.

30lbs is about right for an average tourer. Modern Galaxies, like legrandfromage said, are a bit on the agricultural side of a ride but great fun nonetheless.
The Kona sounds lovely but the thieves will think so as well if your parking is vulnerable at work. Ancient, tarty tourers cost bobbins ( like my 27" frame Longstaff ) and can negate your need to go for the Bike To Work payment option.
Either way, ancient or modern, have a go at loading up the bike with a decent set of panniers and lashings of ginger beer and take it out for a picnic.

Agency_Scum":3c6vqj73 said:
Either way, ancient or modern, have a go at loading up the bike with a decent set of panniers and lashings of ginger beer and take it out for a picnic.

Wow, that is fantastic! Thank you for that. I have been born in the wrong era...Tweed jacket, pipe, bartholmew touring map and off into the countryside!

What have we done to our countryside since then?

What really strikes me is that the same fantastic camaraderie that exists amongst those cyclists exists on this website!!

That video deserves it's own thread!

I'm 5ft 7inches. Norman Fay means nothing to me I'm afraid being completely ignorant of the ways of the road!

Back