1994 Kona Lava Dome - Value?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
Does £140 for a 1994 Kona Lava Dome in 95% original spec sound ok?

It has some cosmetic damage but is basically sound...

A 1996/1997 Kona Koa in similar condition went for £155 not long ago.

I'd offer less than that for it. There was only one bike below it in Konas range but there is a fever about though that makes people pay stupid money for bikes just because they're Konas.

Well, there were 2 bikes below it in 1994; the Cinder Cone and the Hahanna (sp), but the second may have been more of a hybrid?

I agree Kona's do go for a bit more than perhaps they are worth but finding one as old as this with original components like the velocity stem etc isn't easy. Especially in my size (i'm 6'4").

Anyhoo, i've bought it now so i'll post up some pics when it's cleaned up and i've sorted some bits like the saddle etc. Then you can decide if i paid too much :)

Nope, the only two models below it (at least in the US) were the Fire Mountain and the Hahanna. The Cinder Cone was one above, and to the best of my knowledge, the only differences were a slightly upgrades Sugino crankset and a an LX front mech vs. the STX one that came on the LD.

Yup - Amey is right.

The Cindercone shared exactly the same frame as the Lavadome. Double butted Tange steel tubesets. Groupset was slightly better on the Cindercone hence its higher price.

Hahanna and Firemountain were single butted tubesets of a cheaper variety methinks.

I think 150 for the whole bike is a pretty ok price. Depends on condition really. Id offer 100 quid - remember its retro and old and all bikes nowadays have suspension....;)

ameybrook":2qopmr3a said:
Nope, the only two models below it (at least in the US) were the Fire Mountain and the Hahanna. The Cinder Cone was one above, and to the best of my knowledge, the only differences were a slightly upgrades Sugino crankset and a an LX front mech vs. the STX one that came on the LD.

You're right, i meant Fire Mountain. Not sure why i typed Cinder Cone. I'm hungover :p

jez-2-many-bikes":3et58zep said:
Yup - Amey is right.

The Cindercone shared exactly the same frame as the Lavadome. Double butted Tange steel tubesets. Groupset was slightly better on the Cindercone hence its higher price.

Hahanna and Firemountain were single butted tubesets of a cheaper variety methinks.

I think 150 for the whole bike is a pretty ok price. Depends on condition really. Id offer 100 quid - remember its retro and old and all bikes nowadays have suspension....;)

I've got all the suspension i need on my Orange Patriot. The Kona is for everyday use :)

Back