BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone remember this one?

84567997_119767ad8e_b.jpg

84567995_8649f239f1_b.jpg

Posted it before, but I create a new topic now to avoid uploading 20 pics each time. There were about that many in the previous topic.

I got the frame from yo-eddy, who disgusts aluminium.

I am currently still busy with the Panasonic MC-Comp bicycle, but I already made an inventarisation of parts I have laying around for the Vitus built:

- purple Ringle Moby
- purple Ringle Ti Skewers
- purple Ringle H2O
- purple Grafton brakes
- full DX groupset (DX/Araya wheels)
- many Campy Euclid

On the Euclid groupset: I bought a Chesini with the full groupset for 25 euros last week. The overall condition of the bike isn't really A1 and I have to take a closer look on what can be used. I already polished the crankset with Scottisch Bright and Belgom and it shines like new. The cranks are planned for the Pana. The very trick and exceptionally heavy cablehangers too.

On the brakes: For the rear I can choose whether to use the Grafton cantis or the Euclid U-brake. Both mounts are present on the Vitus. I can even choose for using both!!!! :shock: Yes, I do mean two brakes for the rear. The Chesini had two, hence also the special Euclid lever that enables using a double brake. I doubt whether I will choose this option, because 1) I do not think it is needed and 2) I do not think it is really period correct. Double brakes are of an slightly earlier era as the Vitus CL1.

The Chesini also came with a suspension fork of the Italian REG brand. Italy all the way! Never heard of REG suspension forks.

I really like the elegant, clean Vitus CL1 frame. Think it is a great start for a nice built. I am very curious after the end result as the purple will possibly spoil some of the elegance and cleaness. I want to use those parts now I have them laying around. Looking forward.

To be continued.

- Melvin

nice

Lovely, I'd love to see it fully built.........

.................just don't ride it too hard. I had a Vitus road bike (979 Dural) and managed to remove the bottom bracket from the seat tube by getting out of the saddle and powering up a hill. Admittedly it had seen 5-6 years of use before it happened, but it put me off a little.

Good news is a carefully place bit of bailing twine and a stick allowed me to repair it well enough to ride the remaining 20 miles home.

cchris2lou":2k17atom said:
I really like this vitus .

It is pretty rare .

They didnt make many .

Hi Chris,

In Holland the Jan Janssen brand used Vitus frames for some models in their line up. Just like Koga used Miyata frames (for all models). I can sometimes see Vitus CL1's or SC1's (the welded ones) offered here. Of course not tons, but also not rarely. Currently zero. Always round 15 roadbikes.

This mint 992 is at my lbs:

jjvitus.jpg

I think it is sweet and very classy.

This one is fun: Vitus BMX

:p

- Melvin

Re: nice

breezerboy":271ncs92 said:
Lovely, I'd love to see it fully built.........

.................just don't ride it too hard. I had a Vitus road bike (979 Dural) and managed to remove the bottom bracket from the seat tube by getting out of the saddle and powering up a hill. Admittedly it had seen 5-6 years of use before it happened, but it put me off a little.

Good news is a carefully place bit of bailing twine and a stick allowed me to repair it well enough to ride the remaining 20 miles home.

Hi Breezerboy,

That is not good. I heard some rumours on inserts coming lose on Vitus roadbikes. Others who say they should know argued Vitus roadbikes don't fall apart more easily as other bonded bikes of that same era, like bonded Treks. On the Vitus MTBs I learned the inserts are longer to prevent it from falling apart. The frame isn't really light also.

- Melvin

My dad had a 979 road bike .

Lovely bike .

Vitus used to be very popular round my place ( south of france ) with cyclotourists and racers .

Streets are much prettier crowded with Vitussus ;)

On the falling apart issue: I also learned the carbon Vitus roadbikes tend to come lose more easily, as the tubing can't be heated when making the connection. That is why there is a tighter fit for the alloy ones.

When a Vitus fall apart there are still no worries. You can bring it to those guys and they fix it for you.

On the same site a spec sheet on Vitus roadbikes; one the 979 Dural: Here!

BTW Sean Kelly's is for sale. Current bid $8000 I see. Place your bid now. Quick!

- Melvin

I knew a guy with a black Vitus Mtb .

Dont know if it was same model as yours or not .

As you said wasnt very light , but very rigid .

Not too good downhill either .

Chris,

Overhere the black I've seen were welded Vitus SC1's. The CL1's I saw were always silver (like mine) or with purple anodised tubing (like the above roadbike). I think the only Jan Janssen input was the 'Jan Janssen' decal. This is unlike Koga who decided on own paintschemes and contributed to the development of Miyata frames etc.

Maybe it handles like a lorry :twisted: Maybe I should opt for the double rearbrake for that reason :idea:

Vitus mountain bike

Hi there,

I had one of these bikes in the early 90's and won loads of races on it. I originally had a silver one and then I had a black one when that snapped.

All the best with the project.

Mac

Back