CBT

gibbleking":i4v2igrv said:
92 percent of deaths on uk roads involve a motercycle.....norfolk county council safety records (so "they" say).....enjoy it i wish i could but my wife would hurt me if i got another one...sniffle.nothing like riding on a summers evening with "whole lotta rosir" in your ears.....humpf..

That statistic just has to be wrong for start.......and anyway, maybe try some off-road stuff for a change. Get a trials bike - at least as much fun as riding mountain bikes (but different), no inclination to thrash around at silly speeds on the road, cheap to tax/insure, enjoyable to work on/fettle and as competitive as you want it to be (like mtb's then..).
I had motorcycles from when I was 16 to around 45, but none were road bikes - they just don't do it for me. I keep toying with the idea of buying another - ideally a 320 Majesty or 320 SWM (twin shock, air cooled for twin shock trials).
Like this nice example - (but without that bloody headlight..... :twisted: )
Not as light (or fragile) as a modern trials bike, but a nice pokey, tractable disc-valve engine and still competitive in the right hands.

Attachments

• 320-SWM.jpg
    320-SWM.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 744
The CBT is WAY too easy and should much be harder in my opinion.

If you can ride a motorcycle without falling off and respond to instructions fed into an earpiece then that's it really.....no brainer.

If you fail a CBT then you really need to have a word with yourself (if it is actually possible to fail?).

The Category A test is also too easy if you ask me....if they made it harder there would be less death/accidents.

Neill

If you can ride a motorcycle without falling off and respond to instructions fed into an earpiece then that's it really.....no brainer.

If you fail a CBT then you really need to have a word with yourself (if it is actually possible to fail?).

did you read what i wrote yesterday? yes it is possible to fail.
what you have just described is a test, is it not? more over it is a test of out of the box, 0 experience ability on the road.
seriously, i know im in a minority of people but that attitude is pretty offensisive tyvm. maybe have a think about how what you say might effect people before you say it eh?

W W Biffta":24qmr1un said:
maybe have a think about how what you say might effect people before you say it eh?

No not really fella...its just an opinion. My criticism is with the system, therefore sympathetic to how you feel about the whole thing.

Yes its wrong to expect people with zero experience to walk up and do this.
The 'test' is too easy and safety doesn't play a big enough part in it at all.
They do not teach you the things you need to know.

The fact that they let people loose on the road after taking a CBT is disgusting (my opinion). The DSA should provide better (offroad) facilities, make the test much harder, teach you more and have more focus on safety.

I've seen kids do CBT's on their 16th birthday, then go out on the road on their own....insane :roll:

ah ok got ya, i guess its still a raw nerve even after all these years, just read it as refering to me.
yeah i agree completely, the test is too slack in general, which may seem odd considering what i just said, but i think the car test is a bit of a joke too.
i just cant trust anyone around me on the road to be competant enough to be safe and predictable. probably alot to do with the problems i had in the first place.
also my bike vs car incidents have all be and low and 0 speed, but my motorcycle crashes were all 30 mph+

the actual data states that 92 percent of actual fatalities on the road involve a bike in some respect(ps of which over 90 percent occur on a country lane..the most dangerous roads in the country)..not stating who was at fault causing the crash but merely how dangerous it is to be on one.i love em for what its worth and always give them space to go pass in traffic... :D

Well? How dy'a get on :?:

Now - what ya' gonna buy to ride? :twisted:

kingroon":7x8x0akk said:
Okay all you MotoHeads, I'm taking my CBT* tomorrow and would just like a few pointers..

I suppose the main thing is, is it difficult? Is it tested? Or is it, as it says, training?

Any help greatly appreciado :cool:

* For all non-Motorbike Riders, CBT is Compulsory Basic Training, which is a legal requirement beyond 50cc; I've got me a 125cc Scoot'

Passed :twisted: :cool:

Had a great day on the bike, Instructor was very helpful and I really enjoyed it :)

Woody, mate I really recommend it, I went out on my Scoot' this arvi over to Chiswick and back as soon as I got home and it really gives you confidence [not arrogance] on the road esp. in traffic. It's hairy enough on a bicycle around London so the CBT is a good idea if you ask me.

One of the great parts of my "assessment" was the location, Wimbledon. Busy roads [good experience] and pleasant scenery [not that I wasn't concentrating on the task at hand].. :cool:

Back