Attn Kaiser! Beast of the East now fitted with a Pepperoni!

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, in the time it took for Kaiser to buy a Cannondale, strip it, polish it, collect the parts, build it up, ride it, sell it, and then complete a Stumpjumper build...I've managed to fit...a fork!

The Beast of the East is done.

Frame:1994 Cannondale Beast of the East, Viper Red, 20"

Fork: Black Pepperoni

Headset: King threadless
Stem: CODA steel
Handlebar: CODA Performance
Grips: Cannondale
Barends: none

Brakes: Deore DX
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Eagle Klaw
Brake Cables: stainless
Cantilever cable hangers:front - Cannondale Force 40, rear - X-IT Dual-Eez
Brake Levers: CODA

Shifters: Dura Ace 9spd, Paul Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Deore DX, Endless Clamp
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX short
Derailleur Cables: stainless
Cassette: Sram 990 9 spd, orange acrylic carrier
Chain: Sram 990
Cranks: Race Face Turbine
Crank Bolts: SRP
Chainrings: Race Face
Chainring bolts: SRP
Bottom Bracket: UN-72
Pedals: Shimano XTR

Hub Skewers: Deore XT
Rims: Velocity Deep -V, black powder coat
Hubs: Deore XT
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DT 14-15g
Tyres: CST Caballeros
Tubes: Specialized butyl

Saddle: SDG Slim Jim, Bass Boat Gold with black Kevlar shoulders
Seatpost: Deore XT
Seatpost Binder: Salsa

Weight:22 lbs

I built this bike as sort of a resto-mod, as far as the drivetrain is concerned, converting the older XT hubs to XTR 9 speed and then fitting Dura Ace shifters and a Sram cassette and chain. The rest of the bike is pretty period for the year. The Deore DX parts would have been installed on the Beast thru 92, and then LX with DX thumbshifters for 93 and 94. The Force 40 brakes are on the front, but because Force 40s were such a horrible invention, I've kept the X-IT Dual-Eez hanger that I originally fitted to the back. Hey, I worked for those guys, so I gotta represent (even if they are now defunct!) The threadless 1.25 headset arrangement was a problem, sorting the Cannondale fork. I had a Kona P2 fork on there, but it looked like hell, and the longer suspension corrected fork raked out the geometry horribly. Now with a Pepperoni the bottom bracket height is back to a more manageable 13" or so... :D

Pics!

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,234
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,234
  • IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,233
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,234
4 more...

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2,232
Looks very tidy and well thought out. Only thing I can think of as an improvement is XYZ bar ends, but thats just my taste. Hope it proves to be everything you wished for.

sinnett177":2jk4ytpc said:
Looks very tidy and well thought out. Only thing I can think of as an improvement is XYZ bar ends, but thats just my taste. Hope it proves to be everything you wished for.

They would be neat to have, those crazy long bar ends, but I never used bar ends on my first Beast back in 1992, so I'm going to leave them off, by choice. I'd love to have a set tho...especially with all the other CODA stuff I've hung on this bike. Good Call! :D

I've had it built as a bike for a year now, with small running changes as I got my hands on stuff. I think it's pretty much done. Maybe some black Salsa skewers, but I sorta dig the big Shimano QRs from back in the day.

I use the bike to commute when the weather is nice...so the CST tires will have to do. I'd not want to wreck a nice set of vintage tires on the road. Might as well use the CSTs up.

The fork makes all the difference...I can't believe I waited 8 months to get the thing installed. :shock:

have watched this bike from when i got here (in fact it was a search that found this bike and led me here so its your fault!!!!) and i still love it
awsome clean build

rob

:D I always had faith in you when others mocked :D looked good before and even better now :cool: what sort of differences have you found between the 2?

looks great, the forks make all the difference, did you spray them and the stem yourself?

Do those X-IT Dual-Eez hangers screw into the frame? I have force 40's but I don't like them and that looks like a nice solid alternative.

Nice job and even given the fact it has taken some time, I'm sure it's a bike that is used unlike some other members I could mention :roll:

Peddled the Beast to work today. The fork makes all the difference. That P2, while a great fork, in the right application, was just too long. The Pepperoni makes for a very quick bike, much like I remember from back 14 or so years ago, riding my first Beast. I'm a happy man. :D

Kaiser, you bet the fork changes things In addition to the obvious handling differences that having the right fork provides, the Pepperoni is S-T-I-F-F-! :shock: Sort of like riding with your chin pressed to the pavement. Bicuspid Rattling. :LOL: I wonder if I'll be able to tolerate it on the trail, what with me advancing in years and all. ;)

Clockwork...I did spray the stem. It should be the clear coat nickle color, like a Zoom, that came on the bike. I sanded it up, taped up the bar and steerer holes and pinch bolt holes, and hit it with some textured black. I know, I know...I rail against modern companies painting stuff textured black, but I just can't see spending money to have what is essentially a Zoom stem re-nickled. Besides...that nickle color is ugly, the black looks much better. The fork though, as far as I can tell by poking around on the web, was a mass release fork, all painted one color, that was intended for warranty replacement use. There was a recall back in the day on Pepperonis, and this would have been the replacement fork. To my knowlege, most warranty forks for the recall were painted this metalic black color, as it would have 'matched' the multiple frame colors affected by the recall. Again, all of this is Internet hearsay, so if anyone has anything more accurate, please pony up (Joe Montgomery, is that you?)

The ride in to work was fast, fast, fast! :cool: :cool: Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :D

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,105
Back