BB Spindle Length Quandary

Fast Eddie 13

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I need a BB for my recently acquired Italian vintage frame but I am not sure about what spindle length should I get.

Basically, I have a set Campagnolo Chorus cranks which came originally fitted with a 111mm English threaded BB for standard 68mm BB shell.

Now I want to fit the same cranks on my Italian frame which, apart from Italian threads, has a 70mm BB shell.

I have done some research and, apparently, Chorus Italian threaded BB come only in two lengths: 102mm and 111mm.

Do you think I can get the correct chain line using the 111 mm Italian BB?

Does the different length of the BB shells have any noticeable effects in the chain line? (after all, it is just 1 mm at each side!)

Any help much appreciated as I am bit worried about spending good money on an Italian threaded BB only to find out, later on, that it is not the correct size that I need.

I'd go with the 111mm. The 102 is likely to be too close in and cause the chain to rub against the big ring when in a highish gear on the inner ring.

111 you can find these days is for triple and won't give you the right chainline.

102 is way out.

Your best bet is scouring the net for an old Centaur, Mirage or (if you are lucky) Athena BB. They don't grow on trees any more though....

Ok, cheers for the input.

I suspected from the beginning that this was going to be the tricky part of the project :(

I did a quick search at Campoldy for the BB models mentioned by dbmtb and all of them that they still have in stock are 111mm.

Then I checked the web page of Chicken Cycles and found that they have a lovely (and pricey) Specialites TA Italian BB (107mm length) that offers the possibility of fine adjusting chainline. As far as I can move it 2mm either right or left, I think this may be a possible solution to my problem.

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=7&sub=107&ord=2

The TA Specialites BB has almost the same price than a new Chorus BB.

Before taking the plunge, however, I will ask in a couple of long-established roadies bike shops we have in town to see what's their opinion.

That's a nice looking BB! Join BBs Anonymous here! I'm thinking a see through frame will set it off nicely.

Indeed, they look gorgeous!!

At the moment, however, more concerned about getting the spindle length right rather than the aesthetics of the BB.

Peter White Cycles has more info about this BB and a list of BB lengths and cranks compatibility.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/bottombrackets.asp

If he is right, I should go for the 110mm length....

Gosh, this is getting confusing!!!

Fast Eddie 13":25l1s9iw said:
I have done some research and, apparently, Chorus Italian threaded BB come only in two lengths: 102mm and 111mm.

Do you think I can get the correct chain line using the 111 mm Italian BB?
The Chorus 111mm bottom bracket is meant for the Chorus triple cranks. It's very slightly asymmetrical, but in practice it works fine with an older double. A Centaur 111mm unit would also do the job without any problems. The 102mm is, as others have said, too short.

Does the different length of the BB shells have any noticeable effects in the chain line?
None whatsoever.

Back