GT Karakoram 1994

It's riding well. I've nearly always had short stems (azonic shorty), risers (club roost) and the forks are shorter travel than the Mozo's I've just switched them with.

Not a lot of difference really. The biggest one should be the feel of the forks as the elastomers in the Mozo's were getting stiff.

I also have a GT Karakoram - in red. They put some Judy T2 forks on it when I bought it. Other than that nothing has been changed at all. I've not even changed the chain or brake pads! Probably ought to but it all works perfectly.

I'm interested to see the changes you've made. Was fitting the disc brakes easy and/or worthwhile?

When they put the forks on mine they cut the top off low so there is no room for spacers. Hence it has a uncomfortably low riding position. I'm trying to work out how best to correct this and then see if the bike is comfortable enough to spend a bit of money customising it.

I'm guessing the only options are a riser stem and riser bars?

NozzaC":2i1h7f87 said:
I'm interested to see the changes you've made. Was fitting the disc brakes easy and/or worthwhile?

I'm guessing the only options are a riser stem and riser bars?

Fitting the disc was easy and was, IMO, worthwhile (especially as I had a spare set-up laying about).

I've nearly always used risers as I find it a more comfortable riding position and you get better control. Again it's my opinion as there are 'anti-riser' peeps out there.

Just try either a riser stem or bar first as doing both together may be too much. Or try a shorter stem and riser.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll get some riser bars first. The flats that came with it are very narrow too which doesn't offer much steering power.

I'm not so hot at measuring but it appears to me that it's a 1 and 1/8th of an inch headset and 1 inch diameter bars. Does that sound right to you?

What is the effect of a shorter stem - how does it change handling?

Back