1995 Kona Kilauea size 17

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
Well, here is my £120 purchase, just as it was. Retired from its London commuter duties on the grounds of old age and now looking for new challenges.

Many thanks to Huntso for his valuable advice about concealing my retro mobile phone when I ventured into Hackney, but in fact I found the many natives I asked directions from very friendly and nobody robbed me at all. What was worst to us simple coastal folk was that once you pass IKEA Croydon you enter a different world. Fifteen more miles there and fifteen back took four and a half hours. Yes, I know I could have cycled it quicker.

I was a bit worried about Dan when he told me that he had thrown away the original Bontrager Titec bar. I mean, what kind of person throws away titanium? But he turned out to be very nice and civilised, and assured me that the bar had been grievously shortened by the previous owner and was also damaged. The other major things missing were the original O-Beam post and Equilibrium saddle which had survived for fourteen years until just six weeks ago, when they were stolen! But the Velocity stem was part of the lot, no clamp bolts but I don’t think that will be a problem and almost pristine with its nice colour match to the P2.

I had asked Dan if he had any other original parts and he said no. But he gave me a bag which indicated that he is a man after my own heart, but this was perhaps a cathartic moment for him. Having never thrown anything away before in his entire life, he was using this opportunity to get rid of all the things he should have thrown away but previously couldn’t. So I now have all manner of unidentified nuts and bolts, plus the chainring bolts that he thought were ‘gone’, a never-fitted pair of LX cantis, a complete third (?) SKS mudguard and fittings, a serviceable LX mega9 RM, a pair of Kona grips, some Bontrager bar ends, sundry QRs including a quite natty and light Sachs one, a bottle cage, a new pair of Deore V-levers and an old pair of LX cantis. Well the chainring bolts will come in handy. Anybody want to buy three SKS mudguards?

It’ll hopefully look a bit different in the next instalment. The paint doesn’t look that bad to me, and there’s no way it’s going to lose its original and much sought-after pearl whiteness to this owner. We’ll see what it looks like after being cleaned, touched up and polished. And the bottom line is that I absolutely haven’t got room for it, so it’ll have to be up for sale in a few months. But not for £120.

Attachments

• 95 Kilauea as originally 2.jpg
    95 Kilauea as originally 2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,283
Ok you said it ! let me know when you have run out if space and I will drive to Brighton with £125 :LOL: you keep the mudguards and bag 'o stuff ;)

Seriously, top buy and a very nice machine will appear from the cobwebs and mudguards,I will keep an eye on the progress

Cheers

That's nice, you had a great deal on ebay and the frame looked in good condition too, you shouldnt have any problems selling it as it's a white Kona ;) a few people like them in white including me.

Ever thought trying singlespeed or it's not your cup of tea?

Noticed you are a motorsport fan too judging the books you have in book stand, lemans or F1?

Nice one, great find

They look so compact 17" and the 95 rear canti cable routing gizmo is one of my favourite bike details.

Enjoy!!

Very glad the locals were friendly to you Anthony, should have said go early in the morning because the baddies are still fast a kip after the previous nights antics.

Nice buy and shame you can't keep it, but no doubt it will show a tidy profit even in this harsher economic climate.

Doesn't sound like the traffic problems have improved much then, interesting part of the world though.

Great find. I could actually make use of two-thirds of your mudguard collection if you want to sell them ;-)

Kona

That's one kona in that colour ive ever wanted

Looks in great nick, nice bike

Cheers kirbdug :D

Back