1992 Trek 9000 - Finished 12/3/09

daj":3pvre3fo said:
Looking good Jon, Pretty clean too!! :cool:

What are the forks like for that era?

Thanks.

I havent ridden the forks yet, but from just compressing them on the floor they seem smooth but have little rebound damping.

Nice project!

got to love those early FS bikes, you know that they will flex like crazy, but the 9000 does look cool!
Even the color is cool.

If you are interested I do have a original Trek system stem, that I don't use, I got 2 of them of which I use one, and the other was a older spec (I needed a 95 model for my 9900)

If you're interested let me know.

i always wanted one of those early trek duallys, but the geometry was such that even the "small" was too big for me----even given the fact it has no tires, that trek mogul fork looks like its got alot of travel for a 1992 fork

cchris2lou":3f8mc97i said:
awfull bike to ride .

I was following a friend who was riding one , and the rear wheel was moving more sideways than up and down . :LOL:

Hasn't this Trek been voted as the 'worst FS ever' ?
Well, I guess it could still be better than supermarket fullsussers but still it's crap. Not too bad looking though.

sniperworks":zu2cs6ct said:
Nice project!

got to love those early FS bikes, you know that they will flex like crazy, but the 9000 does look cool!
Even the color is cool.

Thanks :D Yea, I know its meant to be a bit flexy, but this is being built as a queen.

Archangel":zu2cs6ct said:
Hasn't this Trek been voted as the 'worst FS ever' ?
Well, I guess it could still be better than supermarket fullsussers but still it's crap. Not too bad looking though.

Porbably the worst, yes.........but as you say, its nice looking, and thats all I am building it for. I loved it BITD, so I am finally building one :cool:

I have a cunning plan. I had a go on one of these back when they were brand new. It is the only full suspension bike I have ever swung a leg over. The only thing I can liken it ito is riding a bike with very ovalised Biopace rings. If you fit it with said rings, perhaps you coud keep turning them 90 degrees until the two cancel each other out and then....a perfect ride.

Iwasgoodonce":1z8uzeb4 said:
The only thing I can liken it ito is riding a bike with very ovalised Biopace rings. If you fit it with said rings, perhaps you coud keep turning them 90 degrees until the two cancel each other out and then....a perfect ride.

I am actually fitting some DX biopace :LOL:

Hey don't knock the 9000 guys :D

I went to the launch of this bike (might have been a dealers briefing or something) at a hotel in Exeter, back when I worked in the shop in Plymouth. It was all really exciting ('cause I was young I guess), and there was a buffet and drinks too. I remember the shop mechanic riding it down some stairs and the damn thing nearly pogoed him over the bars – very amusing. We all got given a Trek Tech Expert teeshirt which I thought was superb until later in the year when I wore it to the worlds at Newnham Park and spent the whole day explaining to strangers that I didn't actually work for Trek, or know anything about their bikes :LOL:

So that bike has a particular place in my heart – Good times

Back