Merlin Racing Cycle - newly painted pics in!

joe1983

Retro Guru
Hi, I have bought the following bike for my singlespeed project and was wondering if anyone could offer me some information on the frame? Also, tips on restoration would be great as it's rusty and has a lovely homemade white bit!:

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

Cheers,

Joe

Merlins of this era (not to be confused with the current Merlin in Lancashire - no connection) were a brand name of Bob Jackson Cycles in Leeds along with JRJ. I don't know how and why some were sold as Bob Jacksons and others Merlins and JRJ' s, perhaps it just depended on the name the customer wanted.

I would think that yours could be a 70's model (or even late 60's?), most likely built with 531 tubing and Prugnat lugs, the lack of braze-on fittings for gear levers and brake cables is a very 60's/70's fashion. Also you have Universal brake levers with Mafac centre-pull stirrups, a popular 60's/70's combination. Early Campagnolo gear shifter levers. It is also pre-allen key bolt seat pin clamp era.

Nice looking frame with SunTour 80's gears etc.

Decals

Bob Jackson's may have some appropriate old transfer decals for you, if you choose to repaint the bike with them they will look into it. I asked for some JRJs recently, but they won't sell them on their own.

I have found some JRJ decals from Nick at H Lloyd cycles, but they are more like a 50s ish design, at a guess. I happened to be looking for Merlin too as I knew the frame I am repainting may have been badged either way (no original decals left), unfortunately for you Nick has none.

I have seen a couple of stills of a Merlin (poss 60s) on Classic Rendezvous, with similar but not the same designs on, inc. good photo of an old head crest with a large M and a bird (a 'merlin' perhaps?). Also I saw one hanging up in a classic/old bike shop in North London called Sargeant's.

hi, yep I have spoken to Bob Jackson's and they do have the decal kit but won't sell without full respay etc. At the moment I'm weighing up wether to splash the cash or run it in it's current state. Starts getting expensive when you start thinking about respary, masking of chrome, rechroming...!!

It could end up very nice that one. Out of interest, what is the rear mech? Is it of a similar age to the frame or much newer?

Just had the call from Bob Jackson saying the frame is ready! Will post pics as soon as its here, going to build up with Campy Nuovo record/record/gransport bits I have.

Excited!

Back