Live Yeast....Damson wine on the go now

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been trying to buy some live yeast but nowhere sells the stuff! I'm sure it was available years ago.
Supermarkets are more than useless, health food shops just shrug sholders :?

I've had 25 litres of damson juice on the froth since Septemer with a nice thick crust of mold (my Tree went mad with fruit this year, even though the rest of the country had a damson draught!), it was only supposed to be for 2 weeks before draining/straining and adding the ingrediants, but it's been nearly 6 months it's probably fermenting under it's own natural skin yeast by now.

So where can I buy live yeast from in Chester?!

i used to work in the 'in store bakery' for Safeways. we used to sell the fresh yeast that they use, you could ask any store with a bakery. it wasn't openly advertised, but was just a few pence to by a few ounces.

Assuming you want bread yeast, try a bakers.

Up until 2 or 3 years ago we used to get fresh yeast from the instore bakery in our local Asda/Sainsburys - sometimes free, sometimes they would charge a few pence. Only available when they were baking (obviously).

Probably still available, but the handmade bread/naan/pizza dough fad passed in our house and now we just chuck the dry ingredients into the machine :oops:.

cheers

hmmm that's got me thinking, "bread yeast" and i used to be a baker :oops:

It's wine yeast i need. I can't find any yeast, in dry form or anything else, nevermind wine yeast.

The last health food shop i went in (who was closing down, quite sad) said he had people ask hime all the time for yeast but he could never get hold of it from his suppliers :shock:

I've even been in these fancy wine shops thinking they'll have a brewers section... bah nothing.

Easy_Rider":2kv3ho5d said:
The last health food shop i went in (who was closing down, quite sad) said he had people ask hime all the time for yeast but he could never get hold of it from his suppliers :shock:

They probably couldn't supply it due to "health" and safety :roll:.

High street shops selling homebrew supplies and kit are almost non-existant now - replaced by the internet. You should have no trouble getting wine or beer yeast in dried form.

As for fresh yeast, perhaps a friendly local microbrewery might have a source? CAMRA would probably be a good place to start.

cheers

I don't think you can buy fresh 'live' yeast from a shop as it's classed as a culture, I guess unless they have some license to sell such things, supermarkets will not.
They can of course give it away for free ;)

They could have changed rules & regs / old wife tales since I last looked ;)

FluffyChicken":2p16j4c8 said:
I don't think you can buy fresh 'live' yeast from a shop as it's classed as a culture, I guess unless they have some license to sell such things, supermarkets will not.
They can of course give it away for free ;)

They could have changed rules & regs / old wife tales since I last looked ;)

Isn't live yogurt the same then? I'm not talking about those silly little pots, i mean proper live yogurt, yummy stuff.

I'm sure my local health food shop used to sell it in bar form from the fridge. But that was bread yeast, i need wine yeast, don't know the difference tbh.

I'll try ur tips nimbus.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Any homebrew shop. Large Boots used to have some. Wine yeast can take a higher % of alcohol before it dies.

Back