1996 Kona Explosif - Update 1/10/09

chiringuita":3oh06hqo said:
I love Spain.... February sunny, 22ºC and single speed day. :cool:

Go, go... ;)

stop it - I`m getting jealous - here we have arround 0°C, foggy and some rain :(

exbiker":2ni45wsv said:
Thats just lovely, Get it in BOTM :cool:
Thanks. :oops:

Today is a beautiful day. Sun, more sun and mud. :cool:

dsc00153g.jpg

dsc00155ctw.jpg

dsc00158m.jpg

nice job---i like how the down tube flattens out and flares where it connects to BB shell---and i know its steel, but those tubes look really oversized to me, sort of like an alum. frame----common with columbus max??

stevemar":3s3335qe said:
nice job---i like how the down tube flattens out and flares where it connects to BB shell---and i know its steel, but those tubes look really oversized to me, sort of like an alum. frame----common with columbus max??
Yes, they're basically a 31.8 top tube and a 34.9 down tube, both bi-ovalised. So the top tube goes from being 29.5 high and 34 wide at the seat tube to 34 high and 29.5 wide at the head tube, and the down tube goes from 37 x 30 to 30 x 37. The gauges are 7-4-7 and 8-5-8, and at that time those were the thinnest gauges in mtb, with sufficient strength achievable only because of the fatter tubes and the bi-ovalising.

The fact that it looks good is just a happy coincidence of course.

Man. what a cool colour scheme, logos look great too.

My '98 Kilaeua with it's hawaian graphics looks lame!

Look forward to seeing finished rebuild

dyson":gncpwi2y said:
Man. what a cool colour scheme, logos look great too.
My '98 Kilaeua with it's hawaian graphics looks lame!
Look forward to seeing finished rebuild
What is this heresy? No Kilauea looks lame, not even a 98. :?

If you really think it looks lame, please note that there is a very nice For Sale section on this forum. Offer it for sale at a lame price and maybe somebody will put you out of your misery!

I was thinking of respraying it day glo pink... :D

Now Anthony lets not take things too seriously!

I would not sell my Kona, it may have the odd patch of rust here and there but as my commuter scoot I have some great rides to and from work down the trail at the side of the local river.

I've even got some new decals (Hawaiian style I hasten to add...) from Gil so that one day after a respray in it's original plumb blue it will be like new.

But you have to admit that guy's explosif was a treat.

Back