atom hub with threads on the non drive side??

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I have an old atom hub on my claude butler.
Can anyone tell me about the brand?
The hub is strange in that it has a set of threads on the non drive side - what are they for?

thanks in advance

Don't know. Could hazard a guess that if it is VERY old, a rider could have a larger sprocket that he could use by flipping the wheel around at the bottom of the climb? Long winded, but when there was no support allowed in racing?

could be for different gearing. one side could be fixed and the other have a freewheel.

I reckon it is 80's, never thought of optional gearing or even one side fixed. Probably right - I'll try and get a pic during the week.

I thought I'd get a definate answer within minutes as my road knowledge is almost zero. I thought it might be for a disc brake or some tandem related device, although it doesn't look heavy duty enough for tandem use.

The Ken":2h0fow6l said:
a set of threads

is it one thread or two? if the outer section is smaller diameter & threaded anti-clockwise, that's so you can run a fixed gear, the lock ring threads on the opposite direction to keep it tight. Many riders used to to train or commute fixed & save the gears for competition. Try fixed, it's only going to cost you a cog & lock ring; great fun!

Fixed threads

That is almost certainly what the threads on the NDS are, it's a multipurpose hub. I have the exact same arrangement on a 5sp wheel from a '61 claud butler. BITD you could ride geared bike to your fixed TT, turn the wheel around, compete, then ride home a again with gears. This is quite commonly seen on vintage hubs.

I walked into a famous east london HHSB DayGlo Fixie' shop a little while ago whislt using the fixed side, with the old 5sp freewheel still on the there, and the proprieter looked very confused. Bless

Back