The mystery of Thieves Wood, Notts...

great

i never used to like the idea of having to drive to a place , ride , then drive home :LOL: but i spend a lot of time now at rutland water as its leisurely enough for the mrs and i enjoy chasing down the lycra clad people with the suspension on my heavy steel rigid old jump bike wearing jeans and a tshirt . the pub half way around is nice too

is it flat ? i find 44/16 fine if its dry and not windy but im currently using 42/17 . i need to go for 38/16 once ive bought another 16t freewheel

i was thinking of driving to the bike shop and starting from there , or is there somewhere better to start/end ?

Once you start talking about a chainring bigger than 32 i'm out of my comfort zone!

Orange 71, The Pines is well worth a trip. Don't be put off if you don't find anything first time out. Perry's right, the shops the best place to start, you can follow the man made trail (not yet signposted so ask at the shop) which is sweet at the start and then branch off later. It'll certainly provide more thrills than Rutland water and there will still be plenty of lycra clad 'all the gear' riders to chase down :LOL:

I know what you mean about driving but sometimes I just can't face riding on the roads to get to a trail.

Let me know how you get on!

well - have yet to try it, but roll on Spring and a lunchtime to speak of (lunch is for wimps, currently :LOL:) and I'll give it a go :D

went today and as soon as we turned up it pissed it down , so the other half was moaning twice as much as usual . i think i spent just as much time walking as i did waiting for her to catch up

bloody good woods though and i even saw some dog sledging

Perry, I think you picked the wrong day and the woods are really muddy at the moment. On a sunny day in dry conditions there is no sweeter place to be!!

The Pines is perfect for retro biking...better than Follow the Dog at Cannock, it's pretty flat but there are some technical sections and as it is so compact you're never that far away from the carpark when your new retro kit snaps :LOL:

There is still quite a lot of old school singletrack that is just scary enough with a rigid fork to make it a real blast!

i loved it , i ride a mtb because i like getting wet and muddy :LOL: if it was dry id probably be out on the bmx

lots of sly little paths disappearing off through small trees :D

mrs kept saying " are you sure we can go down there ? "

ITS THE FOOKIN WOODS :LOL:

Latest posts

Back