Dynatech Death!

DYNA-TECH 2070

Just to put the record staight here.

1. These were not poorly built !! All Dyna-tech frames were hand built by Raleigh Special Products Division.

2. The damage seen in the picture is a result of the chain dropping and jamming between the chainset and the chainstay, a fault of poor gear adjustment, not poor materials or manufacturing.

3. These frames were not brazed or welded, but bonded with special high temperature adhesive used in the areospace industry. Any attempt at using heat on the chainstay joint will result in destroying the bond of all tubes into the bb shell.

I am the Bikemeister :LOL:

Re: DYNA-TECH 2070

bikemeister2000":1gxgg5bd said:
Just to put the record staight here.

1. These were not poorly built !! All Dyna-tech frames were hand built by Raleigh Special Products Division.

2. The damage seen in the picture is a result of the chain dropping and jamming between the chainset and the chainstay, a fault of poor gear adjustment, not poor materials or manufacturing.

3. These frames were not brazed or welded, but bonded with special high temperature adhesive used in the areospace industry. Any attempt at using heat on the chainstay joint will result in destroying the bond of all tubes into the bb shell.

I am the Bikemeister :LOL:

Just to bend the record slightly:

1: A common failure on these frames was the tubes separating from the lugs. A result of the bonding technique used not quite being the best.

I am not the Bikemeister, but I do remember this happening to the frames of a few friends BITD. That to me would suggest something being badly built or a technique being badly researched - or the wrong materials being used.

2: If that happened whenever a case of chain suck occurred I would have no frames left.

3: See 1 above. Don't think heat is the enemy here. Whether the adhesive used was developed for the aerospace industry seems slightly irrelevant TBH - just sales blurb.

I'm sure if the frame was taken a mile above the ground and flown at 700mph in an outside temperature of -50º it'd be fine - but that's not what it was built to do...

Anyway, sorry to see that Russell - good look searching a replacement!

^^^

Just following that up I do understand that the tube has not separated from the lug but has simply developed a hairline!

What bikemeister says. Possibly attributable to "poor" quality of material, nowt to do with that of the frame BUILDING.

reynolds tubing.... so steel??? weld it up and grind it flat? that would be stupidly easy!!! ive done that on bmx frames before and weld is stronger than the steel surrounding it so it shouldnt break again if treated right. as in sealed so it cant deteriorate again..... just a thought but as you were talkin possible 200 squid to repair the frame . you could get yaself a mig welder for less and fix it yaself :cool:

Dyna-Tech Death

I will conceed a small number of frames built developed problems from insufficient adhesive in the joint. However, corrective proceedures were put into place once the problem was identified.

Dyna-Tech

retrowagen1234":22q0kgcg said:
reynolds tubing.... so steel??? weld it up and grind it flat? that would be stupidly easy!!! ive done that on bmx frames before and weld is stronger than the steel surrounding it so it shouldnt break again if treated right. as in sealed so it cant deteriorate again..... just a thought but as you were talkin possible 200 squid to repair the frame . you could get yaself a mig welder for less and fix it yaself :cool:

The frame is bonded NOT brazed, NOT welded. Heat applied in the area of the BB WILL damage the all joints in the BB shell.

Re: Dyna-Tech Death

bikemeister2000":8u8jycmm said:
I will conceed a small number of frames built developed problems from insufficient adhesive in the joint. However, corrective proceedures were put into place once the problem was identified.

You used to work for Raleigh didn't you.

Back