Windows activation problem! Scam?!

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just received a windows msg on boot up saying i need to activate my copy of windows and have 3 days to do so, apparently due to recent significant hardware changes.

Now the problem is, I had already validated it a long time ago AND I havn't changed ANY hardware for a long time.

Anyway, put the damn key in again and now it says it invalid because it's been used too many times... WTF? So they want me to pay 95quid to validate the thing for a copy of windows i have already paid for :evil:

got a big splash screen across the bottom saying software not activated.

Is this a scam by microsoft?

Before anyone says Linux, don't, I know, i need to run windows on this machine.

Think i'll just do telephone activation, effing micropoo money grabbing barstewards :evil: :evil:

just done a search and there doesnt seem to be any world wide problem , general microsoft activation advice seems to be phoning

I once had to activate XP 3 times in 6 months! Once was due to a driver installation screwing up windows, another was due to a hd deciding that it was time to join the PC in the sky and the third time was because I changed the mb.

If you phone up they usually activate it no problem unless you're stupid enough to say it's on more than one machine. ;)

dont worry too much as i can send you a nice little peice of software that sorts the problem straight away if they insist on charging you loads of cash.ps is it vista or xp ....

i did this myself a few months ago when i upgraded to vista black edition....worked just fine....shame about vista tho damn thing crashed so i had to do a new install from a hidden partion acer put on all their laptops........good stuff ...only cost 20 quid to do ...(i needed a second laptop to acsess the hd to do it otherwise i would have done it myself)i should add this all came about because i tried to install linux on the second hd and when i booted up it said whats the password.....wtf i dont know...bugger cant use pc ......gggrrrrrrrr :p :p :p

You can even get them to reactivate OEM versions of Vista if your motherboard got fried.

This has happened to me once.

It's just a right old hassle.

Back