1996 Specialized Stumpjumper A1 FS

GlassTrain

Retro Newbie
Still working on it, but it's ridable. The original intent was to use this as a winter bike (which it probably still will be), but it's just so much fun to ride, it's become my main ride. Don't tell my Rockhopper that! :LOL:

The stem needs work. Just can't find a good spot for it with it's angle. It's either too high, or just slightly too low. Right now it's flipped as you can see.

Frame: Specialized A1 Aluminum

Fork: Rockshox Quadra 21R

Headset: 1 1/8" Tange-Seiki
Stem: Specialized A1
Handlebar: Easton, aluminum
Grips: Yeti/ODI gripshift
Barends: Specialized A1

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX M-System brakes
Brake Pads: Kool-Stop
Brake Cables:
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe PC-7N levers

Shifters: Gripshift SRT-800 X-Ray
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX top-swing, bottom-pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT SGS
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: 8-speed
Chain: S-Ram
Cranks: Specialized Son of Strongarm, 22/32/42 teeth
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings:
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN52
Pedals: Huffy Platform

Hub Skewers: Front-Shimano Rear-???
Rims: Ukai EX-17 32h
Hubs: Front Shimano XT Parallax HB-M737
Rear Shimano XT Parallax FH-M737
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Specialized Hardrock'r
Tubes:

Saddle: Specialized Prolong Evolution
Seatpost: Tahoma DP 510, 30.9 mm diameter
Seatpost Binder:

Weight: Less than a 96 Rockhopper!

Attachments

• all_prairie.jpg
    all_prairie.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 8,364
  • all_prairie2.jpg
    all_prairie2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 8,358
Now that is exactly the kind of thing we should all be aspiring to this year, clean, simple, understated, probably rides beautifully, no bling!

Well done that man

Thanks for the kind words all.

Looks bent up front with the stem like it is, but it works. Puts more weight on the front and makes that old yellow pogo stick do some work. I had originally thought the shock didn't have any spring left, but since it's warmed up, it's about thrown me off the back a couple of times going through some dips. :LOL:

GlassTrain":1w7o3wpz said:
it's just so much fun to ride,
Now thats quite rare. They only produced the A1 for 1yr as far as i remember. Looks in good nick. Its a Stumpie, its bound to be fun to ride :LOL:

Looks nice, just like back in '96.

Do you think you'll keep riding the Quadras on it? (My first bike had Quadra 5's, which broke at the arch). I love the originality (and hey, I miss the yellow paint!), but a new fork would dramatically improve things. I guess then, you'd be on to V-Brakes, V-Brake levers...

Great to see an original bike! Looks like it was gently-used.

Probably keep the Quadra on it for a while. For what I do with it, should last for a while longer.

Other than a few minor scratches here and there, it cleaned up surprisingly well. It was filthy when I got it, and didn't intend to almost completely take it apart and clean/lube it. The biggest fear was finding a crack in the frame when I was cleaning the bike. As the dirt (and some tar like substance) came off, I realized it wasn't really in that bad of shape.

As far as originality, it doesn't have the original hubs and rims. Not sure where they (Ukai's) came from, but they sure are a pain to remove tires. Seem like tough rims, though!

Put the stem back. Plus a picture of the rims. Could these have come from a Breezer? :?:

Attachments

• flipped1.jpg
    flipped1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 8,141
  • ukai1.jpg
    ukai1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 8,143

Latest posts

Back