Is a paypal account worth setting up, for selling stuff???

MrNero50

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I registered on this forum/site just over a week ago, mainly with the prospect of selling my old bike and to view bikes I lusted after when I was younger (always had a thing for Tioga Disk Drives)!!

With the intention of selling my old frame/parts, I was just wondering, how necessary to prospective buyers, is it that, the person selling parts etc has a paypal account?

Does the lack of a paypal account put off perspective buyers?

Are bank transfers/accepting cheques just as acceptable?

Any thoughts from people who regulary buy/sell on line?
As I've never sold or bought anything on-line before and browsing the "for sale" forum, I've noticed some people specify paypal only and some don't state any prefered method.

the Paypal 'gift' option is handy for seller and buyer in some respects as neither pays a fee and the transaction is instant, but I don't think there is any protection. I do find it convenient to use paypal as I don't like the wait for cheques to clear (or get lost in the post), bank transfers to go through etc. Too impulsive I guess!!

paypal is ok but for me as a buyer it dont bother me if a seller wants cheque... as a seller personally i'd rather have a cheque as i cant 'withdraw' any more money to my bank from my paypal as ive reached some 'limit' - they want a landline number to verify my address if i want to 'up' my limit but i dont have a landline so any money i get payed into my paypal has to sit there until i wana pay for something using it.

also i did have over £1000 taken from my bank thru paypal early last year some dude bought loads of fone cards but it was resolved within 12 hours of me reporting it although the money did take 9 days to go back into my bank...

I don't have one. They wouldn't be able to get away with a lot of their policies if they were a bank. The money isn't always available, and while it sits in the Paypal account they're getting interest in it.
I've lost a single sale because I didn't do Paypal. But I still think it's better to not have it.

Yes

Pros-

Can be done and dusted in minute's not days
I've in the past waited 14 days for a sent cheque to arrive then clear

some ebay sellers wont accept anything other than paypal ,not great if hes selling the final bit for your latest build,and you've waited ages to find

Has Good levels of security-no thieving barsteward postman,and is far far safer than bank transfer and good chances of getting your hard-earned back should things go t*ts up

Cons-

Fees - this isnt as bad as people make it out to be,consider the cost of a postal order ,£1 per £10 face value Plus the cost of a recorded service

Send a cheque and you still pay recorded and it isnt totally secure, things do go missing
I hear talk of -while its in paypal they get the interest
:shock: :shock: What on 50-60 pounds,wow that must add up to 0.001p for the time they have it :roll:

And in case anyone has failed to notice, the frikkin bank policies arent too democratic either

Back