My new ride in the stable

Crell

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been contemplating a modern full susser (Szasbo aside) and have finally taken the plunge.

My new ride:

All%20Mountain_12_Foes_2.1%20XCT%205%202008.jpg

Not the lightest frame by any means but I can't abide anything that flexes. It boiled down to a decision between an intense 5.5. or Tracer VP and this. The manufacturing and engineering approaches Foes are using swung it for me. I haven't ridden one so this could be an expensive gamble but I need to get the full susser thing out of my system.

I'm having it re-powdered though as I fancy something a little different colour wise.

Main build list currently looks like this.

Foes XCT-5
Magura Thor 140 fork
XTR shadow Drivetrain & shifters
Acros Hubs, DT Revolutions, DT 4.2 Rims, UST Nobby Nics
Acros Ceramic headset
Monkeylite SL Risers
Tune Stem
Tune Post
Marta SL magnesiums

I can't wait to ride the thing to be honest :D Should be about 3 - 4 weeks, as the Marta mags aren't available until Feb.

Well I think that'll come in about 26.5 to 27 Lbs. The frame is about 7 lbs and I've got the Curnutt Air Shock. (about the same as my Pig Iron Bontrager :) )

I await "you've built a brick" comments from my mates on their Santacruz Superlights!

I'd better buy a full face helmet...maybe not :D

Nice one, the FOES ride is something special. Interesting choice of forks, I like the Magura's. What were you thinking colourwise?

This was on e-bay recently, Focus ST custom paint job
5e0c_1.JPG

IbocProSX":g279oete said:
Nice one, the FOES ride is something special. Interesting choice of forks, I like the Magura's. What were you thinking colourwise?

This was on e-bay recently, Focus ST custom paint job
5e0c_1.JPG

I was going to go for the Fox 32 QR15s or the DT XM130s but was talked in to a set of the Thors. Their charachteristics are a really good match for the Air Curnutt apparently. They get a pretty crap write up on Bike Radar - but that's the exception (but their point about the poploc equivalent adjuster is right though Magura are apparently working on an update).

They also match the colour scheme:)

I'm going for RAL 7016 which is Anthracite (gloss) - just like this post box :)

1762.jpg

I was going to do a 2 tone fade white to anthracite in powder but decided against. The rest ofthe colour scheme is white & red.

That's a 4x frame by the way. I've been watching ebay for ages but missed that one.

Frame has been re-powdered to look like the above post box and the build is progressing.

Should be stickered up and done in about 2 or three weeks when the parts arrive. Ignore the bars and stem!

XCTMain.jpg

XCT3.jpg

XCT2.jpg

Nice going, and what an air-can that is. Your mates on their Superlights are in for a big surprise! Especially in gnarly conditions my Foes got me to the top quicker than most even with a little extra weight, and then left them standing going down.

Quite a "Germanic" build though, and quality stuff all of it BTW. Kudos for taking the path less travelled. Do Tune do a suitable AM stem? I only know their XC offerings. Imho rigidity in the stem/bars is a key feature for this type of bike.

BTW, how much clearance do you have for the Nics and what width are they?

Yep the Curnutt is massive :cool: It's the tune Geiles Teil stem which is pretty much XC orientated.

tune2006_1_m.jpg

I'm going for a 95 mm stem so I doubt flex is going to be an issue. I can't see me putting too much stress on it either to be honest with my ingrained rigid / hardtail riding style.

The Nics are 2.1s front and rear.

Brakes are on their way from Germany, and the stem is on its way too :)

That'll be hopefully two new bikes this weekend if it all comes together.

im really fond of foes bikes, i have looked after a few dh bikes for the team over the past couple of years. we had two dhs monos, with consecutive frame numbers, then we had the first dhs mono 2.1 in the country with the air shock, big improvement in weight! they are really well built, very strong, and i also admire the fabrication and welding on the frames i have seen, very impressive. the xtc5 is the bike i am intersted in, but they are near impossible to get a test ride on in the uk, and its alot of money to spend. it would have to stay red tho, its the law.

Back