Fork dropout width dilemma

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Right, have decided to build up the AA as a hack for the time being, so i started getting all the bits together last night, when I discovered something up with the P2s I have for it - the distance between the dropouts is not 100mm, it's about 106mm! I don't know what could have happened to do this, but is there a safe and easy way of getting the forks back to the shape they should be? Have tried manually squeezing them together but only managed to get them down to 104mm (big girl's blouse that I am) and I don't have access to a vice big enough to compress them further...

Any suggestions?

The p2 forks on my 95 explosif are like that and always have been.

It's a bit of a pain as the quick release is pretty slow - I have to wind it almost all the way off to remove the wheel.

I can physically bend them in much closer than 100mm, but because I'm not taking them past their elastic limit they just spring back... At least i know now that they've probably always been like that and aren't likely to cause an issue - other than making it a bit of a pain to remove the front wheel!

Get a big G clamp and use it to squeeze the fork legs past their elastic limit until you get the correct width. Easy to do very accurately.

You could use the method Sheldon Brown reccomends for widening the rear, but in reverse. Buy a threaded rod, get two nuts, then wind them in until you've compressed the fork enough that it springs back to the correct width.

terryhfs":2tbklh1q said:
You could use the method Sheldon Brown reccomends for widening the rear, but in reverse. Buy a threaded rod, get two nuts, then wind them in until you've compressed the fork enough that it springs back to the correct width.

d'oh - simple when you think of it! :roll:

Back