So what was your first road bike?

Hi All

First post here :) great forum from what iv'e seen so far

My first proper road bike was a Peugeot Equipe in red, £110 pounds from Halfords around 1984/5 (best xmas present ever!!!!) unfortunately it was stolen about three years later and i got an MBK super mistral.

I miss my 'Peg out'

I have had 2 aluminium road bikes since, one died (crack in frame) the other i sold, i am after a proper retro 531c bike now :)

Pirate

I had a kids Raleigh racer in about 1985. Dark blue blended to white.

I remember wrecking the tyres bumping it up a kerb and I slammed into a wall trashing the headstock bearings. Poor bike!

red and white raliegh criterium, a mate got it from the club book and I bought it from him even though it was too big for me. Eventually grew into it and set my downhill speed record on it that stood for many years, with steel rims and solid rubber tyres. :eek:

Christmas 1972 - second hand ['pre-loved' in today's nonsensespeak] Carlton Corsa Strada in a bluey green colour with chrome forks.
5 speed; simplex shifters, cottered chainset, 27" x 1 1/4" wheels with large flange hubs, brooks leather saddle, regina freewheel and weinmann centre pull brakes. Hello independence!

Learnt everything I know from all the work I did on it - frame refurbishment,
lug lining, swapping to sprints and tubs [and repairing tubs] and of course lightening........metalwork each week saw a hardcore contingent of us, drilling
seatposts and brake levers for maximum style and lightness.

Someone pass me a hanky.....

first road bike

1975? First drop bar bike Raleigh Arena steel throughout weighed a ton
sold after rebuild respray

1982 First proper roadbike s/h Benotto Columbus SL in champagne with chrome forks, Campag nuovo record hubs, gears, brakes, pedals, cranks with pantegraphed chainring and cinelli record stem, super record seatpost, headset, Ambrosio synthesis durex sprint rims, clement criterium tyres, bernard hinault turbo saddle - frame ended up bent after crashed into a skip after an 80 mile clubrun 1 mile from home.

Swapped out bits onto a Saba Equipe Columbus SL also in champagne resprayed in white

Still have the pantegraphed chainring all else long gone

1985 Panasonic Team for my 11th birthday. Went from being a BMX addict to road junkie in a matter of minutes! ;)

Carlton Kermesse. 501 frame with last of the non index 105 components. It had a cream coloured suade effect saddle, nice!

I think is was for my 16th birthday (20 years ago), I paid 1/3 of the retail price which was £225 or £250.

Back