Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Just wondering, could it be that Saracen is not that popular due to it's exposure ? I mean, just trying to search Saracen, I mean proper Saracen, not later glitzy teenager bikes, and there is virtually nothing aside from what is on this forum. Whereas, take an American built bike, and they are everywhere. Maybe it is that Americana rules.

The same when I first started biking, I was the only one with a Saracen, others had Marins and Diamond Backs, yank bikes, (they were crap in mud too)

The other thing of course, is the American marketing, whereas Saracen I remember was rather low profile and probably still keeps it's head down, but for obvious other reasons.

Maybe even it is just the British mentality, a kind of reserved approach, or even an arrogance, whereas America, has always been loud, in your face, look at me etc.

I've noticed a lack of early Saracens also. You have to wade through loads of modern clunkers before finding anything half interesting.

Out of interest, do any of you lot have an '89 (maybe '8:cool:Tufftrax? I had one from new but sold it to my brother in law when I got my Clockwork in '93. He chucked it in a skip last year before I had chance to rescue it! :cry:
Would love to see one again as I drooled over mine in the local bike shop for a year before I got it. It was light blue with mountain lx gear and deore thumbies. Still got an '89 MBUK with a pic of it in a shop ad. Happy days. :p

Carlos the Slackal":3v70zhra said:
Surely the fact that this is one of the longest/largest threads here is testament to the fact that they are still loved!

Yup.

This and the Orange thread.

Patriotic bunch on the quiet ain't we? :cool:

Getting close to building mine back up now.....does anyone know what type of Tange they used for the 1991 models?

Well, I got my Saracen, and its not in bad shape, although when I got it, it was covered in stickers from the previous owner, a 14 year old. It appears unmessed around with, the only thing I can detect as not standard, is the muddy fox forks, saddle the rear tyre and front wheel. Even the Tioga bar grips are still there, albeit very worn and torn. This bike it seems has had a soft life.

main.php

main.php

My plans are to replace the Altus transmission and braking with '90's XT, but upgrade to V brakes, as I hate standard low profile cantis. Replace the steel handlebar, and steel chain rings, get some new decals, and get rid of the pink!!

The frame, is powder coated metallic black, it has a few scratches, but I can live with that, as I intend to use this thing as I did with my lost Traverse elite.

Anyone any idea of the year of this model ? I was thinking '94 or '95.

Out of interest, do any of you lot have an '89 (maybe '8:cool:Tufftrax?

theres some bad pics of mine earlier in the thread, not in drool worthy condition though, and even further back in the thread is a near stock one being pulled out of someones shed.

does anyone know what type of Tange they used for the 1991 models?

mine is prestige, but in the 89/90 catalogue its seems to be tange mtb. dr s has a comp frame for sale so maybe ask him?

Back