1987 Fisher Montare XT

Re: Right ,mr credit crunch special

muddyfox_courier":1r9ec8bn said:
Am I too late . is that next Tuesday ?
What is wrong with you .( In fact you all need to have a word with yourselves)
In the pictures on here it looks really cool . If you must gain plaudits off here simply take some photos leaning against a tree or something suitably arty ,and then photoshop the dodgy bits. Honestly. It looks ace as it is . I'm a big Fisher fan . My mate had a HKEK in 87 when I had the Courier. They were cool as . Still are.
This is what will happen:
It will not turn out looking as good as the original. The stickers will not be quite right . Some really knowledgable twonk like me will say " Oh , shame it's not the right shade of ......",or " the grips had a different ,blah blah blah..."
Ok ,so you get Michaelangelo to paint it and someone says " yea ,but the paint was never actually THAT well done ...." ,so it's still wrong.
And then if you get it absolutely spot on there'll always be one component that lets the rest down. It never stops .
Maybe that's the point.
Bastards.
Do this :
Spend a silly amount of money on some nice NOS skinwall tyres and let that be your only indulgence. Put them on . Fit some new cables and brake pads. Generic foam grips look quite retro.
Ride the goddamn thing.
Accept it's flaws as a patina of a life . Lived.
I have a coooolllleeeecccctttttiiiiioooonnnnn of modern bikes thiiiiis big. Really good ones made of plastic with bouncy bits ,but I never ever have as much fun as when I'm riding my Muddyfox courier wearing my flouroescent shirt . I thought about going down the full renovation route ,but as with other resto's I have done ,you just end up frightened of marking that impossible to source bit or something something.

Honestly . Ride it .
Or sell it to me . And I'll ride it. If it's a 19" .
I'd rather have a CR7 though.And I have no money.

Sorry for using the B word ,but these bikes deserve to be ridden.
http://alans-bikes.blogspot.com/2008/06/vintage-ride.html
Sermon . Endeth

Dont loose any sleep, your not too late ;)
I'm not doing this in an effort to win BOTM, the paintwork on the Fisher is just shot to bits.
The pics really don't show how bad it is. There are loads of areas where there is no paint left at all.
The reason I want to get it re-coated is SO I can use it and abuse it. This wont be no garage queen! Will probably be using it for MM09, so I'm not going to wrapping it in cotton wool.
I just want a clean and functional bike that looks something like it did when it was first built ;)

OK , I'll let you off then .
But let this be a warning ,to you all.
The muddyfox courier is watching ...
BWA HA HA
Ha

Why dont you just concoct some fantastic story that all that patina was caused on a 1989 pilgrimage along the silk road.....

Dropping the frame, forks and stem to the powder coaters this morning :D Fingers crossed that they do a good job!

Well, its been an age since I updated this thread so here goes...

Frame has been powder coated and I'm pretty happy with the results. He couldn't exactly match the original finish but I think it still looks pretty cool.
I had to source a replacement M730 front mech, and this arrived on Friday.
I now need to fit the mech, finish cleaning the rear wheel and then cable it all up.
I've put the rear wheel from my Overbury's on it just for these pics and fitted a tatty old Flite that I hadve kicking around.

Hoping to get this finished off over the next week or so ;)

IMAGE_108.jpg

IMAGE_107.jpg

IMAGE_110.jpg

IMAGE_102.jpg

IMAGE_106.jpg

Decided to let the chap at the lbs fit me new cables and chain, so dropped it off this afternoon. Caused a bit of a stirr in the shop. Loads of 'I remember those' and 'bloody hell, check the U brake' :D

Be ready for me to ride on Wednesday at the latest, but he may get it done for me tomorrow! Cant wait for my first ride :cool:

Back