Cheap full suspension monstrosities. Why ??

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm the resident idiot who while a little leathered down the pub offers to fix peoples bikes :oops:

At the moment I think their having a competition, who can bring me the most unsuitable bike for the type of riding they do :?

The latest is a woman from down the road who pootles along the promenade when and if the sun comes out.

I've just nearly put my back out trying to lift it up my front steps :shock: Its a Baracuda Cuda Jaw :?

I dread to think what it weighs but its LOTS :shock:

I'd have loved to hear the conversation in the bike shop, when they advised her she needs a full suspension bike with motorbike tyres and triple clamp forks :evil:

I wouldn't mind so much but she's bringing her husbands matching one to be fixed next week :?

I'd love to know how many people have bought things like this and been put off cycling forever by the experience :roll:

p.s my dog obviously agrees with me as he's just pissed all over it :LOL:

the owner of the shop kept bringing them over for me to sell . he couldnt understand why id only sell one a week , if that :LOL:

awful things , if someone wanted something more suitable ( ie everyone ) id happily tell them what they wanted and where to get it if i couldnt get my hands on it

i bet the bushings have gone and its has more travel left and right than up and down :roll:

tell her its terminal and source her an old steel rigid frame with a suss seatpost and swap over the parts that arnt too rusted

It's awful, and does a great disservice to cycling as an activity.
There's nothing worse than a dishonest bike that pretends to be something it's not.
If it were up to me, these importers of tat would be fined for producing bikes that are fit for nothing more than landfill after a month. :twisted:

i had to spend a lot of time telling people why a bike that costs just over £100 shouldnt have cable discs :roll:

but all the good bikes have lots of suspension and discs ( sarcasm ) and they only want to pay a fraction of the decent bikes cost for it . bloody perceived image and no eye for quality

id have gone crazy with the morons wanting a full susser with all the looks of a £3000 steed but a £90 budget if it wasnt for the few genuine cyclists who knew what something well made looked like

whats scary is there are bikes worse than these

for a couple of weeks i had numerous people coming into the shop with them wanting them fixed . i did the first but after that one as soon as i saw one coming in the door i shouted at the person to fook right off

no matter how hard you try to imagine how bad they were your not even close . the crappy budget bikes at least try to look like better stuff . these were rigid with plastic Vs . almost certainly without the british saftey standards . the first guy told me it cost him £30 new :shock:

really scary looking shonky welding
plastic VS without any metal in them ( i grabbed one and twisted it around )
steel rims . yes STEEL rims on a new bike
grabbing a spoke at the top by the rim i easily made the wheel flex to the point where the rim touched the fork leg :roll:
infact everything flexed

i was asked to make the gears work . after 30 mins i gave up . the twist shifters had a very poor ratchet to them so indexing was impossible and they seemed to be a completely different ratio to the mechs so if you managed to dial 2 gears in at the other end of the block it would be 1 and a half gears out . awful cables going to wonky cable stops and the mechs were probably formed from coke cans

when the guy came to collect i explained why it was so bad and convinced him to throw it away

Gah Room 101 with em! ➡️

why do joe public have a mental blockage to see spending more than 89.99 (anywhere other than a supermarket) unacceptable? an impossible discussion, in one ear out the other! :roll: :?:

Suppose they will hardly use it but a honest £200 or sale bike would be miles better and more inspiring to use.

I did see a cool Moto x style kids bike at Hellfrauds though that was cool I'd love that if I was 8 Y.O. again :cool: :cool: :LOL:

I used to work with BSO's everyday at the shop, they sell because there is a market for them, I wish they would not be advertised as mountain bikes, because they aren't, even 'All Terrain' is pushing it a bit...

No matter how much advice you give a customer (my 1st two questions after a cheery greeting were, What sort of riding do you want to do? & What budget do you have in mind?), there are always those who insist that a £150 full suspension bike with cable discs & 2.3" knobblies is what they need for commuting 3 miles on tarmac to work & back.

Then they choose a fully sprung gel saddle as wide as the whole frigging moon :roll:

Those customers who listened to the advice went away with a big smile on their faces as they knew after a test ride that they had the right bike for the job

Those who didn't went away with a very shoddy bike, just because it had full suspension & cable discs and they think it's the best thing since Reebok Classics & Tracksuit bottoms tucked in socks.

Needless to say those bikes were always in for repairs & probably cost the owner more money in the long run :twisted:

Back