Problem with Shimano Uniglide

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all, new on board, recommended over by Rikk off another forum. Will introduce myself in the pre-1997 readers rides area in a sec once I've got my first post out the way :D

The ratchet on my racer seems to be letting go. I think I've identified it as a Shimano Uniglide, will post some pics up in a mo. Does anyone know how to strip one down or where I can get a new one or parts? I'd like to keep the old wheels as they are if I can because they suit the bike and have matching patina.

Ok, here's the bike:

IMG_3000.JPG

Here are some pics of the hub:

hub.JPG

hub2.JPG

9 equal splines so hopefully I've identified that as a Shimano Uniglide?

I think I can get the gears off if I make a whip out of a length of bar and weld on a bit of chain, stick it in gear and undo the small gear.

Basically the ratchet isn't locking up properly and if you get on the pedal too quickly the rear hub just spins.

It's an older racer, probably from around the 80's and the bloke in the bike shop told me it's an obsolete system. He said it can't be fixed and will need a new wheel, set of rear gears and probably new chain. If I try and fix it he said it'll probably be full of tiny ballbearings. Ring any bells with anyone? I'd rather fix it if I can.

First step is remove the cluster, (if its a uniglide you need two chain whips) Then you need to remove the axel and cones, let the ball bearings fall out on the floor where they will roll under the fridge. (at least you know where you are), stick a 10mm allen key in and off the freehub body will pop, some times they come off easy some times not. You will then need to find a replacement freehub body, I recently picked up a damaged hub for a £5 and took the free hub off. Easy, Its getting the bearrings back from under the fridge thats hard !!

The best plan is to swap it for a hyperdrive free hub, there is loads of infomation here - go down to Body Transplantation :twisted: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

Cool, thanks for the info. I thought about the conversion but then I'd need to replace the gears as well and they don't need replacing. What I'm hoping is the ratchet is gummed up and stuck and with a bit of luck it'll just need soaking and re-greasing.

Jonny69":ztjbu603 said:
Cool, thanks for the info. I thought about the conversion but then I'd need to replace the gears as well and they don't need replacing. What I'm hoping is the ratchet is gummed up and stuck and with a bit of luck it'll just need soaking and re-greasing.

Getting into the ratchet is someting Ive never done, post an add in the wanted section for a uniglide hub some one will have one.

I have it all in bits. I made the makeshift chain whip, cassette off, axle out, balls out, allen key down the hole and pulled the ratchet unit off. Once I'd soaked it in petrol and cleaned out all the gummed up grease it started working much better, so I've got it soaking in oil at the moment and with a bit of luck it'll be fine. Cheers for all your help :)

Back